It’s autumn and time for a pep talk

The last couple of weeks have definitely felt like autumn.  I have put away my summer dresses, my wedged shoes and I have given up on the bottle of St Tropez fake tan in favour of 70 denier black tights. I am also giving myself a pep talk.

The prospect of months of drizzle which will make my hair curl, grey skies, early darkness and cold shivery mornings leaves me feeling more than a bit blah.

pep talk

This year, Cygnet and I are dealing with more change than just the change of season.  Cygnet has started pre-school.  It is essentially a nursery linked to a school but the fact that he has to wear a school uniform makes it feel like a bit milestone for us.  He has only just turned three and I feel like his school days have come far too early.

We have also changed our co-parenting schedule.  Cygnet used to spend half of every weekend with his dad and half with me.  We have now switched to alternate weekends and I am going to have to get used to weekends without Cygnet.  I am also trying to get my head around a new work pattern.  Pre-school means that I will get into work an hour or so later and will have to work an hour or so later in the evenings.

When I think of the hopes and dreams I had as a teenager, it never occurred to me that my life could be governed by coloured cells in an excel spreadsheet used to denote blocks of Mummy-time, Daddy-time or Grandma-time.

This is also this time of year when I feel a bit sad about my single status. Cue mini violins! As the nights draw in, I will be sitting here alone on the sofa pondering whether this is joyous solitude or loneliness creeping up on me.  In my imagination the rest of you are coupled up on the sofa with hot cups of tea and cozy blankets binge-watching box sets or Netflix.   I know that your reality is very different from my imagination.

I am going to sweep my morose musings aside.  It’s about time I gave myself that pep talk.  This is the new school year and time for a new beginning.   It won’t be until next April or May that the evening sun tempts me onto my balcony for a glass of wine, which quickly turns into the bottle, and prevents me from doing anything productive with my evening.

It is time to batten down the hatches, to get out my big fluffy jumpers and bed socks, to drink more tea and to buy some ginger biscuits.  The next few months will be filled with reading, writing and for me a whole heap of home refurbishment and decorating.

Now is the time to reinvigorate the little personal project of mine that just about left the starting blocks back in April, but then stagnated and was left untended as soon as the sun and the Prosecco came out.

You never know, if I can get my act together now, I may even achieve something before Christmas.

Reflectionsfromme
Share The Joy Linky @ VirtuallyAllSorts.com
Rhyming with Wine
Motherhood The Real Deal
Life Love and Dirty Dishes

1. September 17, 2017 / 7:28 pm

I solemnly packed all my summer stuff away today after getting back from a fabulous holiday in Ibiza yesterday! I’ve been sad all day, but like you am ready to embrace Autumn with fluffy socks and tea! X

September 17, 2017 / 8:54 pm

Oh Kerry, yes, it is grim. Pen x

2. September 17, 2017 / 7:56 pm

It is very easy to get drawn into the grey evenings and feeling blue this time of year, good for you to be thinking positive and looking ahead.
    Thanks so much for linking up at #kcacols. Hope you come back again next time.
    Amy recently posted…What to buy a 9 year old girl?!My Profile

September 17, 2017 / 8:53 pm

Thanks AMy. Pen x

3. September 18, 2017 / 5:21 pm

My wedges are well and truly dead but I still can’t quite bear to part with them just yet. Surely the sun will come back for one final farewell… won’t it?!

Good luck with your refurbishment and other autumn projects. I like that the new term is another fresh start, hope it gives you a re-newed sense of energy!

September 18, 2017 / 8:55 pm

Thank you Vicky. Pen x

4. September 18, 2017 / 11:11 pm

Autumn for me actually makes me feel more alive. I love the changes of the leaves and my hikes are so much more colorful and interesting. Plus I love drinking hot chocolate on a cool Autumn evening. I’m single too and I will probably do a lot of binge watching on Netflix but I’m good with it. I like being alone so it doesn’t bother me…much. The co-parenting schedule I do understand though because my boys and I are finally starting to get back into the school year routine where they will only see their dad on the weekends but a yet another routine will take place starting next week and they will see him more because my schedule is changing. It’s going to be a busy year:) #anythinggoes
    Michelle Kellogg recently posted…A New Adventure is About to Begin on the Career FrontMy Profile

September 19, 2017 / 9:28 pm

Hi Michelle,

I need some of your positivity! Good for you. Pen x

5. September 19, 2017 / 3:49 am

Maybe you could move to Australia for 6 months a year! Come hang out with me, we are finally embracing Springtime and it feels good. I don’t mind Autumn in many ways it is my favourite season, but sometimes winter drags on too long. I love your honestly and the way you write and reflect. Maybe you should write a book over the winter? Or like I said come and out here. #mg Oh and congrats on being my fav post last week!
    Mackenzie Glanville recently posted…I want to stop . . . #livingfearlesslyauthentic #mgMy Profile

September 19, 2017 / 9:27 pm

Thanks Mac, that sounds like an awesome idea. I would LOVE to spend 6 months in Australia. Thanks also for making me your fave post last week. I’m very flattered. Pen x

6. September 19, 2017 / 9:57 pm

My favourite months are from the start of autumn through to spring, strange since I hate the cold, maybe it’s just getting all cosy in big hoodies! #KCACOLS

September 21, 2017 / 9:17 pm

Really? Goodness me. I like April through to September. Pen x

7. September 20, 2017 / 12:13 pm

I love autumn and in many ways see it as a new start as well as a new season. Winter however is another story so I try to make it as positive as possible with a light clock that helps me wake up and lots of fairy lights around the house. I invest in a yummy smelling candle and get abit hygge about it. I miss the sun of course! Thank you for linking up again Pen and I hope you love the new #sharethejoylinky

September 21, 2017 / 9:16 pm

Hi Lizzie, doesn’t it feel like winter to you? It feels like the seasons have changed so quickly. I don’t like it! Pen x

8. September 20, 2017 / 5:14 pm

We have completely different seasons in India. But our monsoon is like your autumn now. Rainy and puddly everywhere, and with a new baby I have not a place to go. I am imagining everyone else going on treks and long vacations, while I stay cooped up at home. Facebook helps in reaffirming my suspicions. But like you say time to give ourselves a pep talk and get on with what is most important in our lives right now.
    Namratha recently posted…What no one told me about becoming a mother for the second timeMy Profile

September 21, 2017 / 9:08 pm

Namratha,

Get off facebook! No one ever posts the truth on social media. Facebook is the facade. Take care of yourself and be kind to yourself. Loads of love Pen x

9. September 20, 2017 / 7:29 pm

I do enjoy a big fluffy jumper and fluffy socks! If it wasn’t for the nights drawing in Autumn/Winter would be my favourite time of year. Glad you’ve managed to find some positivity 🙂 #AnythingGoes
    Kim – Raising a Ragamuffin recently posted…Goodnight Stories for Rebel GirlsMy Profile

September 21, 2017 / 9:06 pm

Thanks Kim. Pen x

September 21, 2017 / 9:05 pm

Thank you Carol. Pen x

September 21, 2017 / 9:02 pm

Christmas, oh my goodness. It can’t be nearly Christmas already. aaaarrrrghhhh Pen x

10. September 21, 2017 / 9:35 am

I feel like Summer in the UK has been a bit of a wash out so I’m kind of ready for Autumn. As the nights grow darker, I make the most of my evening alone (my husband works Tuesday – Saturday till late and gets back in when I’ve gone to bed) watching the TV i like, drinking cups of tea and using my slow cooker for delicious, comforting meals for tea.

We too have begun the pre-school journey. My son is attending two days a week and still going to nursery on another day. He loves it but I know what you mean about the uniform. I don’t see it as school so I think I’ll be more emotional when he starts full time school next September. We have a baby due in December so i feel winter will fly by and it will be Spring before I know it.

With my sister and BIL separating this year, as well as my mum and her 12 year partner, I am experiencing changes in routine, if not from a slightly detached angle. I can sympathise with your new co-parenting routine. My sister is having her youngest daughter (13) every other week and her eldest has just gone to uni. She is dubious about her weeks alone but I have told her, she will enjoy the me time so much once she gets used to it.

Wishing you a happy Autumn/Winter.

Becky @ Educating Roversi recently posted…What To Expect Whether Or Not You’re Expecting.My Profile

September 21, 2017 / 9:00 pm

Hi Becky,

Thank you for your comment. It certainly sounds like your family are going through it in terms of separations. Your sister will be okay. Give your sister my email address if you want to – Pen@thesingleswan.com.

Pen x

11. September 21, 2017 / 9:45 am

The changing of the seasons can be quite a shock, especially if it’s the end of a season you have really enjoyed, or brings with it big changes (such as starting pre-school!!) I hope that your pep talk helps you transition into this new season more smoothly, but don’t forget to be gentle with yourself if it does feel a little grey and overwhelming at first. #sharethejoy

September 21, 2017 / 8:53 pm

Thank you Amanda. You are right, I will be gentle with myself. Pen x

12. September 21, 2017 / 7:10 pm

I’m sat here eating ginger biscuits, drinking tea and watching Netflix 🙂 I don’t mind the dark evenings but hate the cold! I hope Cygnet has settled into preschool, you’ll be thinking school applications very soon! Eek! #KCACOLS

September 21, 2017 / 8:52 pm

Oh goodness, yes school applications – jeez. Pen x

13. September 21, 2017 / 7:50 pm

I got sucked into the instagram hype and bought that Hygge book and it actually did resonate – Autumn is candles, fluffy throws and blankets, and all those things. For what it’s worth those Netflix nights often come with a bicker over who wants to watch what 😉
    Onwards and upwards Pen…one door closes and all that – who knows what this Autumn could bring. xx
    Thanks for linking with #coolmumclub
    MMT recently posted…#CoolMumClub Linky Week 77My Profile

September 21, 2017 / 8:52 pm

Haha, excellent. That certainly makes Netflix nights on the sofa sound less appealing. Thanks Pen x

14. September 21, 2017 / 8:03 pm

I’ve already started taking vitamin D to help combat my SAD. I hope you and Cygnet adapt to your new schedule. Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next time
    Bread // Queer Little Family recently posted…Poetry: I SayMy Profile

September 21, 2017 / 8:50 pm

Vitamin D is a very sensible idea. Pen x

15. September 21, 2017 / 10:22 pm

My summer stuff is also my autumn and winter stuff. Just layered differently. Oh well. I can’t imagine what this must feel like for you, but I love that you can give yourself that pep talk and start off strong footed! You can do this, and I do believe in you! A little serendipity too! #KCACOLS xoxo
    Lisa Pomerantz recently posted…Helping HandsMy Profile

September 22, 2017 / 10:27 pm

Thank you Lisa. Pen x

16. September 22, 2017 / 8:34 am

I hope you can find the darker evenings a cosy solitude. Just think, you can watch whatever Netflix box sets you like without having to negotiate and then loose 😉
    #coolmumclub
    Kirsty – Winnettes recently posted…I am Glad We Didn’t HomeschoolMy Profile

September 22, 2017 / 10:26 pm

haha, yes you’re absolutely right. I get to choose whatever I want to watch on Netflix. Pen x

17. September 22, 2017 / 10:44 am

Children instantly look older when you put on that school uniform. It is had definitely gotten colder lately and it is time for cosy socks and hot drinks. I hope you accomplish your home projects in the next couple months. Thank you for linking up with #ShareTheJoyLinky

September 22, 2017 / 10:25 pm

I know, all of a sudden my little baby is all grown up. Thanks for your comment. Pen x

September 22, 2017 / 10:24 pm

haha, Debbie, Unfortunately, I think summer has long gone. Pen x

18. September 22, 2017 / 7:50 pm

I agree with noticing the change in the weather and the arrival of a new season. Many think of September as a new year so may it be the new beginning for you too and bring many delights. #DreamTeam

19. September 23, 2017 / 7:08 am

I think I am slightly odd. I know so many people that feel this way at this time of year and mourn the loss of Summer. I am the opposite, I love Autumn and Winter. Summer has always been my least favourite season!!! I hope it is productive and positive new beginnings for you though x Thanks for linking up to #FridayFrolics

September 23, 2017 / 9:50 pm

Oh my goodness, yes you are a bit odd. Meant in the nicest possible way 😉 Pen x

20. September 23, 2017 / 7:29 am

Summer left very suddenly didn’t it? I’m not a fan of the dark months either, but I like your philosphy – I’ll try and get my arse in gear and sort my house out. At least it will keep me warm right?! Thanks for sharing 🙂 #thesatsesh

September 23, 2017 / 9:49 pm

It did indeed leave very quickly. I think I am in mourning! Pen x

21. September 23, 2017 / 8:45 am

Yep it is definitely changing, I love jumpers, tea and books so this season is so me bar the rain! X #coolmumclub

September 23, 2017 / 9:48 pm

Good for you. I have to admit that winter is better for my wardrobe. I always go into crisis mode in summer. I just don’t suit summer clothes. Pen x

22. September 23, 2017 / 6:25 pm

I love autumn but hat winter, I’m already worrying about All I he colds and coughs the boys will inevitably get. I love that you are giving yourself a pep talk, that’s a smart move when you know the next few months will be tough xx #thesatsesh

September 23, 2017 / 9:47 pm

Hi Wendy,

We’ve already had a cold. I think it is the start of the school term. I have resigned myself to the fact that Cygnet spends six months of the year snotty and six months of the year able to breathe normally. I am taking a berocca a day. Pen x

23. September 25, 2017 / 10:28 am

Doing a pop by from #FridayFrolics. Hoping the pep talk has done some good <3
    Lisa Pomerantz recently posted…Helping HandsMy Profile

September 25, 2017 / 8:56 pm

haha, thank you Lisa. Yes, it is beginning to work. Thanks Pen x

24. September 25, 2017 / 11:24 am

I know what you mean about those grey evenings having the ability to make us all feel a bit meh. I plan to just hibernate and watch all of the trash on TV. #FridayFrolics
    Emma recently posted…Why We Need To Change The Way We Treat TeachersMy Profile

September 25, 2017 / 8:56 pm

Haha, yes a bit of trash TV is perfect for this time of year. There is a lot of it on. Pen x

25. September 27, 2017 / 12:38 pm

#thesatsesh i love contrast ,so although summer is my favourite season I enjoy the Autumn moments you mentioned. The colours are also pretty awesome, mother nature puts on a good show. Thanks for joining our linky, hope to see you again soon.

September 27, 2017 / 9:01 pm

You are right, I love the trees in autumn and Cygnet loves the conkers and the acorns. It is not as good as summer or spring, but it is at least a colourful season. Pen x

26. September 28, 2017 / 1:41 pm

There are lots of things about Autumn to look forward to…not just the dreary weather. It is by far my favourite time of year! A great time to give yourself a pep talk and set some goals for the rest of the year. If you want to achieve something then I’m sure you will! #KCACOLS

September 28, 2017 / 9:09 pm

Thanks Nicola. Pen x

September 30, 2017 / 10:00 pm

Thanks Lisa. Pen x

27. September 29, 2017 / 11:09 am

I always find this time of year a bit depressing, all the good stuff seems to be coming to an end. But I am looking forward to wearing big comfy jumpers again lol.
    #brillblogposts
    Ali Duke recently posted…Facing Laundry Challenges With EcoverMy Profile

September 30, 2017 / 10:00 pm

Thanks. Yep, not long now until Christmas. Pen x

28. October 5, 2017 / 4:50 pm

I’m one of those funny people who loves autumn and winter and hates summer, so I love this time of year. But I’m about to go back to work, so my just turned 3 will be going into nursery full time, and that will be a change, and eldest just started school so we’re getting used to that. I have an alternating weekends schedule, but the coming half term will be the first time of having a share of holidays and them being gone for a longer period. I don’t mind being single – it’s better than my life was before. I like being free! Thanks so much for joining us for #FridayFrolics
    Silly Mummy recently posted…Friday Frolics – 22nd September 2017My Profile

October 5, 2017 / 8:30 pm

It sounds as though are situations are very similar – apart from the fact that you like autumn and winter and I like summer and spring. I also like being single. It makes life soooo much easier sometimes. Pen x