Baby Goes to Daddy: #RASummer

I try to make the most of the time when Cygnet is with his daddy.  Although I am always proud to be a single mum, it is rare that I feel that single motherhood allows me to do things that I would find very difficult as a coupled mother.  As I sipped pink champagne at a preview of the Royal Academy’s Summer Exhibition today, I pondered how very difficult it would be to be quite so civilised with a shouting, running hooligan of a 22 month old boy in tow.

Last year’s Summer Exhibition was absolutely brilliant.  Last year I loved how the artwork had been hung; often on in your face brightly coloured walls that would make the sombre tones of Farrow and Ball scream in horror.   This year most of the art was hung on white walls and I fell in love with some of the individual pieces of art work.

If only I could afford to buy them and had the space to hang them.

Let me show you a selection:

This little girl is a sculpture, but she seems so very real and I just fell in love with her.

#RASummer #RASummer

You have to be a member of the Royal Academy, or, as in my case, a friend of a member of the Royal Academy of Arts to be able to attend a preview.  I love attending the previews because some of the other members are just so great to watch.  I was fascinated by this woman’s hat.  I think it was a dog, but who knows, the zoom on my i-phone wasn’t quite good enough.  I just thought she was great.

#RASummer #RASummer

These skulls would make a great centrepiece for a dinner party with a difference, and this painted piece of toast made me re-think whether our stale bread has to be thrown to the ducks in the river.

skulls toast

My absolute favourite painting of all was Kate’s Dream by John Wragg RA.  I covet it.  I almost considered getting the credit cards out and buying it, but then I remembered that I have a 1970s kitchen with avocado skin coloured worktops.  I have calculated that if I continue to save diligently I will be able to replace said kitchen with a clean white Ikea specimen hopefully sometime towards the end of 2017.  If I spent £6500 on this stunning piece of art work, I would be living with the avocado skin worktops probably until 2019.

It’s a tough call and I may yet change my mind.  I am a rubbish cook anyway.

#RASummer

June 13, 2016 / 9:23 pm

It is indeed!

Thanks for your comment. Pen x

1. June 12, 2016 / 2:58 pm

I absolutely adore that sculpture – I thought it was real to begin with. Sounds like a fab evening, reminded me it’s been too long since I went to a gallery #KCACOLS

June 13, 2016 / 9:22 pm

Hi Michelle,

thanks for your comment. Go, you’ll like it. Pen x

2. June 12, 2016 / 4:56 pm

That little girl would freak me out, I can’t bear life size dolls or statues or anything like that! I would go for art over kitchen anytime 😀 Who would notice the kitchen if you had a piece like that? 😀 #KCACOLS
    sarah recently posted…Sneaky Veg SauceMy Profile

June 13, 2016 / 9:22 pm

Hi Becky,

Thanks for your comment. I know I was right to save the money for my kitchen. I do still love the painting though. Pen x

3. June 13, 2016 / 1:04 pm

Brilliant. Time for yourself is a must and what better way to spend it. You have totally reminded me that I must make sure we get to the Summer Exhibition this year. My daughter is 10 now and last year we only managed the last half hour due to not realising the timings. This has made me want to go even more. Thanks for sharing with #KCACOLS and hope you can come back next Sunday. Nicky
    Nicky Kentisbeer recently posted…It’s Up To You in New York!My Profile

June 13, 2016 / 9:21 pm

Hi Nicky,

Thanks very much for your comment. I reckon the RA Summer exhibition is great for a 10 year old – there is lots of interesting art work to talk about. There is one room with sexually explicit content. It is not that bad and is near the end so maybe just walk through quickly. Enjoy. Pen x

4. June 14, 2016 / 7:05 am

I used to love going to galleries when I was a student in London, it goes without saying that since having the kids I don’t get to wander round exhibitions much now! #KCACOLS

June 15, 2016 / 9:10 pm

Hi Kerry,

Yes, it is really tricky with children. One of the few upsides of being a single mum I guess. Pen x x

5. June 14, 2016 / 9:28 am

Oh how lovely it must have been to attend this exhibition! It looks like there were some rather interesting pieces on display too. Xx #KCACOLS
    Mommy’s Little Princesses recently posted…Living Arrows 24/52My Profile

June 15, 2016 / 9:09 pm

Indeed. It is on all summer. Why don’t you pop along? Pen x

6. June 14, 2016 / 10:28 am

Sounds like a lovey way to spend your time..very grown up! Looks like an amazing exhibition #kcacols

June 15, 2016 / 9:08 pm

It is. You should go. Pen x

7. June 14, 2016 / 7:30 pm

I have to admit I would be like a fish out of water at something like this. I’m not sure if I love the little girl or a little creeped out by her. I do like the skulls though, not sure why but that really fascinated me #kcacols
    Tracey Bowden recently posted…Gas Safety for The FamilyMy Profile

June 15, 2016 / 9:08 pm

Hi Tracey,

I am sure you wouldn’t be a fish out of water. There is a really diverse group of ppl there. You should go. And yes, I loved the skulls as well.

Pen x