#BiBs2016 and my fantasy blogger dinner party guest list

The problem with being an anonymous blogger is that, in order to maintain anonymity, any relationship that I have with my fellow bloggers has to be virtual.

I have read some pretty awesome blogs and some absolutely hysterical blog posts over the last year or so and there are some lovely ladies (and my blogging superheroes are all heroines I’m afraid) out there who I am dying to share a bottle of wine and giggles with.

So, my lovely ladies, please accept my invite to my fantasy dinner party, as I nominate you for a Brilliance in Blogging award 2016.   My invites and nominations go to:

Vicki from http://www.honestmum.com

I am a rubbish cook.  I can’t even assemble things in the kitchen.  Now that I am a single mum I cook for Cygnet, whose taste buds are not particularly refined (anything with sweetcorn seems to do the trick), but I tend just to eat whatever happens to be lingering in my cupboard.  My current favourite is hot-crossed buns with Nutella.

I need you at my dinner party Vicki, not to be the cook, because no guest would accept an invite to spend an evening in my kitchen which looks like a throwback to the 1970s, but because your inspiring recipes will provide my fantasy dinner party menu.  I mean just look at this roasted vegetable stack.  My mouth is watering just looking at it.  Vicki is the only person I would consider nominating for the Food category of the #BiBs2016 awards.

Tor from http://www.teacuptoria.co.uk/

I owe Tor a lot.  Tor’s blogs was one of the first single mum blogs I stumbled across when venturing into the world of single motherhood myself.  I read all of her blog posts on divorce and separation.  She had some great advice.  She’s probably doesn’t realise it but the advice on her blog and her happy relationship with Dan and the gorgeous boy that Seb has become have already got me through some really tough times.

What I love about Tor’s blog is her honesty.  She wears her heart on her sleeve and is not scared of admitting that life does not always smell of roses.  I also love Tor’s quirky doodles and for this reason she gets my Reader’s choice vote in #BiBs2016.

Kate from http://www.poutinginheels.com

I found Kate’s blog through Tor’s.  There are some absolutely gorgeous photos of Kate on her blog.  She comes across as effortlessly glamorous, which ordinarily I would find hideously intimidating, but Kate also shares the ups and downs of her life which makes her very real and very likeable. Kate gets my fashion and beauty vote in #BiBs2016.

Prab from http://www.absolutelyprabulous.com

There are a couple of times when I have nearly wet myself laughing at one of Prab’s blog posts.  But there is one of Prab’s blog posts which stands out a mile for me and that is “the anniversary card I never thought I’d write”.  This is a letter from Prab to her husband on their anniversary explaining why she wants to grow old with her husband, but why, like all of us I guess, she feels a let down and disappointed.

The fact that her husband knows that she wrote this and they have been able to talk so honestly suggests to me that their relationship is really strong and will get through anything, but my God it must have taken a whole heap of courage for Prab to write such a post and a whole heap of courage for her husband to consent to it being shared on the world wide web.  For this post Prab gets my writer vote in #BiBs2015.

Alice from http://morethantoast.org

There are days when I think I want to be Alice.  She is a single mum (there is a bit of a bias towards single mums at my fantasy bloggers dinner party) with two gorgeous children.  I don’t think that I fit the stereotype of a single mum, whatever that may be, but for me Alice smashes it.  She is stylish, successful, gorgeous, has two lovely children, works hard, eats healthily and appears totally cool, calm and in control.  But nothing in life is perfect and I like the fact that Alice is happy sharing her not so fairy tale existence:  her post-natal depression;  her haemorrhoids and her dating stories and most recently her loneliness all get an airing on her blog.  Thank you Alice.

The reason why I really want to be Alice though has to be this post.  Alice has an admin cupboard, but unlike my admin cupboard in which things disappear never to see the light of day again, Alice’s admin cupboard is perfectly organised.  When a torrent of papers, files, old photos, suitcases fall on my head when I open my admin cupboard I think to myself ‘Jeez I wish I were Alice’.  Alice gets my Art, Craft and Design vote for #BiBs2016 (and not just for her admin cupboard).

Min from http://singlemumspeaks.com

Min very kindly put me on her list of award winning bloggers, but this invite to my fantasy bloggers dinner party, isn’t just me returning the favour.  Min is super smart and super funny and I read her every blog post.

Min’s son, Piglet, came into the world thanks to a sperm donor and some ladies and gentlemen in white coats.  I am voting for Min in the Family category of #BiBs2016, because not every family is comprised of a mummy, a daddy and 2.4 children.  Families come in all shapes and sizes: single parent; quadruple parent; co-parent; blended; grandparented and fostered.  All are great and I love blogs which celebrate this variety.

There are loads of other brilliant bloggers out there, but as it is three of us are going to have to sit on the floor at my dinner party because I only have four chairs.  I would love to host and banquet and I promise that if my blog gets a few votes in the #BiBs2016 I will hire a banqueting hall and invite the lot of you.

You can vote for me in the #BiBs2016 awards here

You seemed to quite like my post To the men of Tinder, this is why I didn’t reply  so how about a vote in the Writer category.

#BiBs2016

You also seemed to quite like my post On compliance and control in a relationship so maybe the family category would be suitable…because not all families are happy.

#BiBs2016

My blog is also less than a year old and if you felt so inclined you could vote for me in the Fresh Voice category too.

You’ll need these details:

Blog name: The Single Swan

Blog URL: http://www.thesingleswan.com

Blogger’s Twitter ID: @thesingleswan

Loads of love and bon appétit to my dinner party guests.

Pen xx

Reflections From Me
And then the fun began...

1. March 29, 2016 / 10:08 pm

Ahh thank you so much for including me here Pen! Though my admin cupboard is currently stuffed with recycling and I ALMOST mentioned haemorrhoids again today in a blog post. Must stop broadcasting info about those bloody piles! x
    Alice recently posted…Warrior Woman Births: Caesarian vs VaginalMy Profile

April 1, 2016 / 12:16 pm

If it makes you feel better, I don’t think you have been broadcasting the piles. It stuck with me because I have them too. Oh the glamour!

Loads of love Pen x

April 1, 2016 / 12:14 pm

Thanks Mac. As I say I’d need a banqueting for all the bloggers I enjoy reading. Loads of love. Pen x

2. March 30, 2016 / 1:19 pm

Oh Pen, I don’t even know how to respond to this. it’s just so beautifully written and is another reminder of what that particular post ‘did’. Despite having other personal favourite/successful posts, for me this was the special one. If I stopped blogging, it was all worth it for that one post! So this nomination means the world to me especially for the writer category. I pinch myself each time I get one but yours made me cry. I’m in great company here and am doubly honoured to be a guest if there’s limited space! Loved the humour too. Right, I’m off to choose my dinner party outfit 😉

April 1, 2016 / 12:10 pm

Prab, It would be a pleasure to have you at my dinner party. As you say, there are loads of your blog posts that I remember, but this one really stuck. Thank you. Pen x

3. March 30, 2016 / 6:37 pm

Thank you for mentioning me! I was just feeling a bit downhearted about my blog, and then I saw this-really made my day, thank you!

April 1, 2016 / 12:07 pm

Oh Min, please don’t feel downhearted about your blog. I love it. Pen xx

4. March 30, 2016 / 7:16 pm

What a brilliant way of sharing your BiBs nominees! Loads of fun bloggers in that mix. So…how are you going to make it happen?!
    Suzanne recently posted…When is it time to stop blogging?My Profile

April 1, 2016 / 12:06 pm

thanks. I am not sure yet. Everyone to come wearing a mask? Let me know if you have any cunning ideas. Pen x

5. March 30, 2016 / 9:17 pm

Oh Pen thank you, this made me laugh out loud, I’ll come cook up a feast at your dinner party x
    Honest Mum recently posted…Can You Be Too Nice?My Profile

April 1, 2016 / 12:05 pm

My pleasure. And you’d be welcome to cook up a feast for my dinner party anytime. Loads of love. Pen x

6. March 30, 2016 / 9:51 pm

Some of my favourites here too Pen. I think I might need to nick your idea and do one of these posts myself! X #thetruthabout
    Sam recently posted…The Truth about… #68My Profile

April 1, 2016 / 12:04 pm

thanks Sam. Pen xx

April 1, 2016 / 12:04 pm

Thanks Sara.

Pen x

7. April 9, 2016 / 9:35 pm

New to blogging and twitter so it’s great to have some recommendations on who else to follow! Thank you! #KCACOLS

April 9, 2016 / 10:53 pm

My pleasure! I hope you enjoy them. xx

April 10, 2016 / 8:25 pm

Lucy, I am going to re-read your comment whenever I am feeling a bit down about my blog or my writing. thank you! Pen x

8. April 10, 2016 / 12:17 pm

This is my fave nomination post so far! Good luck in the awards 😀

Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next Sunday X
    Jess Powell (Babi a Fi) recently posted…This Week #30My Profile

April 10, 2016 / 8:23 pm

Thanks Jess. I am glad you liked it. Pen x

9. April 10, 2016 / 5:19 pm

Some great choices here and some blogs I haven’t heard of but I’ll definitely be checking out soon. Really like the sound of that admin cupboard! Have fun at the dinner party 🙂 xx #kcacols

April 16, 2016 / 8:38 pm

Thank you!

Pen x

10. April 10, 2016 / 7:18 pm

This is such a good way to share the blog love and I love how you did it as a dinner party. Sometimes I think I should have made my blog more anonymous when I started but I just didn’t think about it. I don’t think I expected to continue with it! #KCACOLS
    Becky @ Educating Roversi recently posted…Incognito TeacherMy Profile

April 10, 2016 / 8:18 pm

Thank you!

Pen x

April 10, 2016 / 8:16 pm

Hehee, I’d love to invite you all. x

April 11, 2016 / 8:11 pm

Great. thanks. Pen x

April 15, 2016 / 9:24 pm

Thanks Amanda,

I hope I have made these bloggers’ days. They deserve it. thanks for your comment. Pen x

April 16, 2016 / 8:42 pm

Hello, Thanks for your comment. Yes, I will be linking up again next week. Loads of love Pen xx