How to survive Valentine’s Day as a single mother

When I was a little girl, and indeed right through my University years, my mother used to buy us each a little present to help us to survive Valentine’s Day .  She would give us a heart shaped chocolate lollipop or a little trinket to show that she loved us.  When I was a teenager and still living at home, it felt like all of my friends had boyfriends and were desperately in love (with some guy they’d met at the underage nightclub the week before). It can be quite a lonely time and that chocolate lollipop used to help me to survive Valentine’s Day .

My mother doesn’t buy me that chocolate lollipop anymore.  I am 37 and far too old (or at least my mum thinks I am) to receive heart shaped chocolate trinkets.  I suspect she will buy Cygnet one instead.

So, I have decided to take matters into my own hands!

Who says that I have to wait for a man to buy me flowers?  If there is one thing that single motherhood has taught me (in fact there are many things that single motherhood has taught me, but for the sake of brevity I will stick to just one) it is that sometimes you just have to do things yourself.

This year, I am going to buy myself some Valentine’s flowers.  Prestige Flowers have a wonderful selection and they sent me this gorgeous bouquet.

survive Valentine's Day

Everything came in a large white cardboard box which was waiting for me on my worktop when I arrived home from work.  My mother had answered the door to the delivery man during the day and had brought them in.

My mum and I opened the box together.  Inside was this gorgeous bunch of twelve red roses, two boxes of chocolates (it is a good job that I have already failed on my resolution to eat less chocolate in 2018) and a teddy bear.

I have to confess that I am not that bothered about the teddy bear and Cygnet is more into action heroes than teddy bears these days, but the flowers are stunning and the chocolate is pretty tasty. They have a large selection bouquets, with or without teddy bear, on the Prestige Flowers website

I will be ordering myself another bunch for Valentine’s Day.  Sometimes as a single mother, you have to do little things to treat yourself, and if I am going to survive Valentine’s Day and what will no doubt be a commute home from work surrounded by nauseating romance, gushing eyelash fluttering and slobbery kisses, I am going to need to do something to cheer myself up.

The only slight drawback this evening, upon opening the box containing a dozen stunning red roses, was that I had to explain to my mother that although I have just received Valentine’s flowers there is no knight in shining armour, there is no handsome admirer, there is no rich man with a big heart and good taste.

She was a little disappointed.

Maybe I’ll have to order her a box of Prestige flowers on Valentine’s Day too.

Monday Stumble Linky
One Messy Mama

1. January 29, 2018 / 11:43 am

I remember those days of falling deeply in love (cough cough) after a week! Will that be my eldest soon!!???? OK I may just freak out here! Having a guy can be great over valentines but he has to be worthy. #mg

January 29, 2018 / 9:26 pm

Yes, you are sooo right Ren. He has to be worthy. Pen x

2. January 29, 2018 / 12:16 pm

You that yo self, you don’t need a man to be happy X #anythinggoes

January 29, 2018 / 9:26 pm

Thank you. Pen x

3. January 29, 2018 / 12:44 pm

I think what I’m going to do is treat myself to a massage at the local day spa. I have to look at their packages and see what they offer but it’s a great idea for us single mothers to treat ourselves every now and then. Why should Valentine’s Day be any different? You also gave me a good idea on what to do for my sons for Valentine’s Day. I did something for them last year (took them out to dinner) but I like the idea of the chocolate lollipop:) #anythinggoes
    Michelle recently posted…Ode to the Books of My ChildhoodMy Profile

January 29, 2018 / 9:25 pm

Brilliant! Thanks Michelle. I hope you enjoy your spa day – sounds wonderful. Pen x

4. February 1, 2018 / 1:14 pm

I love it – buy some flowers for yourself I could think of nothing more empowering! I doubt I will be getting any so I might go and do the same…maybe we could start a movement! Thanks for linking up to #coolmumclub lovely xoxo

February 1, 2018 / 10:43 pm

It is definitely the way forward, and you get to choose exactly the bunch you want. Pen x

5. February 2, 2018 / 8:54 pm

It is tricky. I don’t really understand the whole children giving Valentines to parents and vice versa but a show of appreciation is always good! I felt bereft when I was a single mum and dreaded Valentines 🙁 Thanks for linking up with #globalblogging

February 2, 2018 / 10:21 pm

Thank you Laura. I am sorry that Valentine’s was so bad for you. Take care. Love Pen x

6. February 3, 2018 / 9:05 pm

Love this idea. I think it’s fab to treat ourselves when we can, even if it’s just the gift of a bit of me time. It makes all the difference. Those flowers are stunning, and what a lovely gift set with the teddy and choccys. I’m going to have a look. Thanks for joining us for the #dreamteam
    Annette, 3 Little Buttons recently posted…Why Do I Have To Be A Trouty Mouthed parent To Be Heard?My Profile

February 4, 2018 / 9:44 pm

Thanks Annette. Have a lovely Valentine’s Day. Pen x

7. February 4, 2018 / 7:50 am

I have never really liked Valentines day, except the ayer I found out I was pregnant that was a great valentines day! I hope you have a wonderful day and spoil yourself with all your fav things! Thank you for joining #mg linky
    mac recently posted…Best of #mummyshotMy Profile

February 4, 2018 / 9:42 pm

thank you Mac. Pen x

8. February 4, 2018 / 8:47 am

Those flowers look lovely. I was raised by a single mum and we always did something together on Valentine’s Day and she always treated herself to a little something. #KCACOLS
    Christy recently posted…Our 9 Month UpdateMy Profile

February 4, 2018 / 9:41 pm

that’s really nice to hear Christy. I am sure she was thrilled to spend Valentine’s Day with you. Pen x

9. February 4, 2018 / 4:55 pm

What a lovely thing for your mother to do. I think we should treat ourselves whether we are in a relationship or not. #mg
    Helena recently posted…Chatterboxes {Ordinary Moments}My Profile

February 4, 2018 / 9:39 pm

thanks Helena. Pen x

February 4, 2018 / 9:40 pm

I agree Helena, and I will be buying a little something for Cygnet for Valentine’s Day again this year. Last year I bought him a heart shaped balloon. Pen x

• February 8, 2018 / 2:08 pm

That’s lovely. I have been surprised to see some people putting together baskets for their littlies too. #thesatsesh
        Helena recently posted…Valentines Day CraftsMy Profile

February 8, 2018 / 9:40 pm

Baskets! Goodness me. Cygnet will get a heart shaped chocolate of some description. Pen x

February 4, 2018 / 9:39 pm

thanks. Pen x

10. February 5, 2018 / 2:25 pm

I’ve been with my partner for 22 years so the flowers are few and far between, in fact the only flowers we have had in the house in the past six months are the ones my daughter received from her boyfriend! I’m all for buying yourself flowers and even better if they’re delivered 🙂 #KCACOLS

February 5, 2018 / 9:08 pm

Good, make sure you buy yourself some flowers for Valentine’s day. Your daughter is not the only one who should enjoy flowers by the way. Pen x

11. February 5, 2018 / 7:55 pm

#thesatsesh I have a Mr and still have to buy myself flowers lol. when we first got together i made him promise he wouldn’t buy them for me…now I’m old and like cushions, pebbles and candles I also appreciate a vase of flowers, but he still remembers!! Which is even more annoying as he doesn’t remember where the dishwasher is situated? lol…partner or no partner I always treat myself.
    fridgesays recently posted…The Saturday Session #21My Profile

February 5, 2018 / 9:05 pm

Surely he can go back on his promises! YOu need to re-visit that conversation. Pen x

12. February 6, 2018 / 7:07 pm

I’ve never been a fan of Valentine’s Day. I don’t do romance. It makes me feel awkward. I buy my husband a card, mainly because I look crap if I don’t. I also buy my best friend a card and this year I’ve bought my husband a card from the kids. I might even buy my son a chocolate lollipop because, as much as I don’t like it, I think its cute to get your son/daughter a bit of something. I remember my mum sending me a card “anonymously” every year, I knew it was her and one year I even saw her pink dressing gown as she ran away after pushing it through the letter box. Bless her. #KCACOLS
    Becky @ Educating Roversi recently posted…100 Truths – Blogger TagMy Profile

February 8, 2018 / 9:49 pm

Ah, your mum sounds a bit like mine. Brilliant! Pen x

13. February 7, 2018 / 3:30 am

This is going to be a rough Valentine’s Day for me this year. I don’t think I’ll be buying myself flowers but this is a great reminder that taking care of oneself is very important #KCACOLS
    jeremy@thirstydaddy recently posted…Playing to WinMy Profile

February 8, 2018 / 9:48 pm

I am sorry about that Jeremy. Flowers may not be the answer but you should definitely find a way to treat yourself. Take care. Pen x

14. February 7, 2018 / 9:19 pm

They’re beautiful. I’ve never been a big fan of Valentines. Mostly I just get stuff for my wife whenever. #kcacols
    Bread recently posted…Poem: Sixty A DayMy Profile

February 8, 2018 / 9:45 pm

Ah, well that is true romance. You shouldn’t have to wait for a big cheesy day. Pen x

15. February 10, 2018 / 9:36 am

Ah these are such gorgeous flowers and sound like a lovely treat to arrive. Tbh even when you are in a relationship Valentine’s isn’t always a thing. There’s always something more pressing the money needs to be spent on and I hate scrolling through Facebook seeing everyone showing off. We all celebrate love differently and don’t necessarily need a day for it. Sometimes we go for it and other years we just can’t afford to.

I’ve heard this year there is Galentines day on13th as a day for single gals to celebrate. I don’t know what day the single guys have.

Have a happy valentines x
    Cassie recently posted…Do we push our own fears onto our children?My Profile

February 10, 2018 / 9:12 pm

Galentine’s Day is a brilliant idea – a bit commercialised, but then so is Valentine’s Day. Thanks Pen x

16. February 10, 2018 / 4:40 pm

What beautiful flowers, I’ve given up expecting anything on VD and if I do receive something it’s a bonus (I’m happily married to the Valentine’s Day Grinch!!). Thank you for linking up to #KCACOLS and we hope you join us again next week 🙂
    Kate Eccles recently posted…Picture Book of the Month: The Last ChipMy Profile

February 10, 2018 / 9:09 pm

Thanks Kate. You could always buy some flowers for yourself. Pen x

February 10, 2018 / 9:08 pm

Thanks Nicola. I agree. Pen x

17. February 16, 2018 / 8:05 pm

The flowers are beautiful! Even with a life partner I still rarely get flowers unless I nag endlessly haha! I find it easier to buy my own too! #KCACOLS
    Amie recently posted…Teenage Pregnancy: The RealityMy Profile

February 16, 2018 / 10:11 pm

haha, Yes definitely buy them for yourself. we are now in daffodil season and daffs are dead cheap. Pen x