Why 2018 is going to be my year of SELF

2018 is going to be my year of SELF.

I like a new year.   For me, a new year is about a fresh start, a clean state and an opportunity to re-set the clock and to shed the weight of last year’s problems, worries and anxieties. That’s not to say that last year’s problems magically disappear at the stroke of midnight on new year’s eve but for some reason the beginning of a new year enables me to look at yesterday’s problems with a fresh and a more courageous perspective.

Self

I’ve never really thought myself much of a superstitious person, but I confess that I do like years with even, rather than odd, numbers.  2010, 2012, 2014 etc are good years, 2013, 2015 and 2017 are less good.  The uneven numbers are a little upsettingly for me.  Yes, I know, I am a bit weird, but we are all allowed our little eccentricities aren’t we?

This little eccentricity isn’t entirely whimsical.  2015 was a monumentally tough year for me.  I separated from my partner, the father of my then five month old baby, returned to work full time when Cygnet was 7 months’ old, moved house and embarked upon what was initially a very tempestuous and challenging co-parenting relationship.  It was anxious, exhausted and emotionally battered and bruised. I breathed a huge sigh of relief when Big Ben chimed the dawn of 2016.  2016 was my year of new beginnings, and actually from a sorting my emotional s**t out perspective 2016 was a very good year.

2017 was another challenging year.  A person very dear to me went through a very tough time.  I wrote a personal note to this special person here on this blog.  I guess 2017 was the first time that mental health, or rather mental health issues, arrived on my radar.  Seeing a special person struggle with their mental health enabled me to understand my own mental health better.  This sounds selfish and narcissistic but travelling along the mental health journey of my special person enabled me to make a bit more sense of 2015 and the dark places that I personally went to and the anxiety that I felt during that year.  Every cloud has a silver lining and I guess the silver lining of 2017 is that I now understand a lot more about what I need to do to preserve my own mental health.  You’ll be pleased to hear that my special person is also doing great now and 2018 promises to be a great year for her too.

If you’ve read my new year’s blog posts for the last couple of years you’ll know that I like to chose a word or a theme that I would like to sum up the year ahead.  2016’s word was CONSOLIDATION.  After the turmoil and change of 2015, I explicitly wanted a year where I would just take stock of what had happened and come to terms with it.  I didn’t want any new relationships, jobs, living arrangements etc etc.  I absolutely couldn’t cope with any more dramatic life changes.  My word for 2017 was EXPANSION although I am not sure how expansive it really was.

2018 is going to be about SELF.  Now that sounds really selfish.  It isn’t meant to be.  This year, I am going to focus on making conscious decisions, ensuring that the decisions that I make are the best ones, are considered and adhere to my values. A year of SELF is about taking the time to reflect, creating the space to think and about being the best person I can be, my best self.

About three months ago, when Cygnet started pre-school, I started running again.  My initial goal was to get fit and to lose a bit of weight.  Over the last couple of years, I had relied on stress to keep me slim.  I lose weight and often don’t eat properly when stressed.  Although, in the second half of 2017, it was great that I was less stressed, I did feel that I was starting to get wobbly and flabby.

I don’t think that my running regime over the last three months has enabled me to lose much weight, or indeed to tone, but an unexpected side benefit has been that it has created time and space for me to think.  I think it is the journalist and mental health campaigner Bryony Gordon who says “if in doubt run it out”, well I think she’s right.  That time spent running enables me to reflect and digest my thoughts.  In 2018 I am making a commitment to run 365km.  I won’t be running a kilometre a day, but to achieve this goal I will need to run 1-2 times a week for the whole year.  It will force me to create the space and time to think. I am also doing a bit of yoga in my sitting room, which I find really grounding and I absolutely love.

New year’s resolutions or goals should be about making a commitment to doing things that you love, that give you pleasure and that make you feel proud of yourself.  In 2016, I made a commitment to go to the theatre once a month.  I kept that resolution and carried it through to 2017.  I intend to go to the theatre once a month in 2018 too.  In fact if I go to the theatre once a month for the rest of my life, I will die a very happy and cultured woman.   In 2017, I made and kept a commitment to read at least one book a month.  It doesn’t sound much, and during my pre-child days the idea of only reading one book a month would have horrified me, but as a new mother working full time I found that I wasn’t reading at all.  Reading a book a month in 2017 enabled me to create the time and space to relax, to zone out and depending on the book to sail off into a dream world.

I have just finished Elena Ferrante’s The Lost Daughter  she’s brilliant.  I am half way through John Green’s Turtles All the Way Down and I am looking forward to reading The Most of Nora Ephron.

This year’s stretch goal, and it is always good to have a fun one, is to go to New York.  I have never been, I have always dreamt of going.  This year, when Cygnet is holidaying with his father I intend to go.

Does anyone fancy coming with me?

Happy New Year.

Pen x

My Random MusingsBrilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

DIY Daddy

What My Fridge Says

1. January 10, 2018 / 8:09 pm

New York is fab, I’ve never been on holiday but I used to go each year with work ( I was a Tesco buyer and New York was the home of the Deli which was my area) take someone with you, it is a big old place and you want someone to share it with #BloggerClubUK

January 13, 2018 / 11:20 pm

Thank you Fiona. Pen x

January 13, 2018 / 11:19 pm

Thank you Karen. That’s very nice of you to say, Pen x

2. January 11, 2018 / 2:04 pm

It’s Funny because New York is so close to me as I live in Massachusetts yet, I’ve only ever driven through it to visit family in the southern states. I’ve never actually visited. Maybe that’s something I should do as well this year! I love your goals. I have similar goals that I didn’t write about in my blog. Improving my meditation and yoga regime is one of them. I’m also looking into getting some type of Martial arts training this year. I’ve always wanted to learn and I did take Tae Kwon Do for six months a long time ago but it’s not something I have been able to commit to. I’ve been putting it off for several years. You’ve inspired me to take it more seriously:) #ablogginggoodtime

January 13, 2018 / 11:19 pm

Oooh, Taekwondo sounds interesting. Good luck. Pen x

3. Hoon
    January 12, 2018 / 7:18 am

Happy New Year! Those sound like some seriously solid resolutions?

January 13, 2018 / 11:18 pm

Thank you. Pen x

4. January 12, 2018 / 7:15 pm

Yes! I believe in you! Have a great 2018. Thanks for joining #ThatFridayLinky

January 13, 2018 / 11:18 pm

Thank you Emily. I hope you have a great year too. Pen x

5. January 14, 2018 / 5:35 am

We really want to go to NY at some point. We did have it all booked before and then my wife got pregnant and didn’t want to go out there in the early stages of the pregnancy. So we cancelled. I guess we’ll have to do it another time but with a child 😂 x

January 14, 2018 / 10:12 pm

Hi Ross,

You’ll get there, I am sure. Sometimes more exciting things (babies) get in the way. Pen x

January 14, 2018 / 10:11 pm

Thanks Nige. I will be back next week. Pen

6. January 14, 2018 / 12:40 pm

Nothing wrong about looking after oneself and learning how to self preserve. It is from being our best self that we are in a good place to help others. #BloggerClubUK

January 14, 2018 / 10:11 pm

thank you Helena. Pen x

7. January 14, 2018 / 5:17 pm

Happy new year! I really hope that 2018 brings you everything you wish for, I loved this post! #thatfridaylinky

January 14, 2018 / 10:10 pm

Thank you Laura and Happy New Year to you too. Pen x

8. January 15, 2018 / 7:21 pm

Sounds like some great plans. Last year was the first time I utilised the time my children were with their dad to do things I wanted to do rather than just sitting about missing them!! Hopefully I can continue that this year. I love your New York plan ,that’s one on my radar too!! #ablogginggoodtime
    daydreams of a mum recently posted…A brief whinge about January….My Profile

January 15, 2018 / 9:32 pm

Thank you for your lovely comment. I hope you get to New York soon. Pen x

9. January 15, 2018 / 10:32 pm

Happy NewYear to you! I have also decided to spend more time looking after me this year, I need to! New York is lovely, I went for NYE a few years back which was crazy but fun! #ThatFridayLinky

January 17, 2018 / 9:49 pm

Thank you Jo. And good luck on your challenge of spending more time looking after you. It’s hard I think. Pen x

January 17, 2018 / 9:49 pm

10. January 16, 2018 / 8:32 pm

#thesatsesh ohhhhh how i adore the word self. I agree, it isn’t selfish and you will find by February that you will be a better Mum, friend and such. Why, because you will be a better you and therefore be able to give more to others.
    Anyway, lets not digress on the high issue….have you booked my ticket yet? Id love to experience NY.
    fridgesays recently posted…Make it pop like pink Champagne.My Profile

January 17, 2018 / 9:49 pm

Thank you , and no, I haven’t booked my ticket to NY. I plan to go when Cygnet is on holiday with his dad this summer. Pen x

11. January 20, 2018 / 10:04 pm

I think the year of ‘self’ sounds great. We need to look after ourselves and ensure that we are happy and healthy, or we cannot truly take good care of our children. Enjoy discovering more about yourself whilst you look after yourself. #KCACOLS
    Rachel George, Ordinary Hopes recently posted…When your future is different.My Profile

January 21, 2018 / 9:52 pm

Thanks Rachel. Pen x x

12. January 21, 2018 / 8:23 am

Wishing you all the best for 2018. I hope you get to realise your dream of going to New York, it’s a wonderful place and you would fit in perfectly. I bet you’d have some amazing tales to share with us on the blog afterwards too! Book the flights!

Nicola | Mummy to Dex recently posted…How We Chose The Right Childcare Provider For UsMy Profile

13. January 21, 2018 / 6:21 pm

I loved reading this post & I know what you mean about the odd & even years…although I got married in 2013 🤷🏻‍♀️ I would love to go to the theatre once a month! And read! I started reading again at the end of last year but it’s stopped with the arrival of Spud #kcacols

January 21, 2018 / 9:35 pm

Hi Becky,

thanks for your comment. I am relieved it is not just me who has a thing about odd and even years. It sounds like you have got a lot on your hands with Spud’s arrival. Cygnet is now 3 so I have a bit more time and space to dive into a book. Pen x

14. January 21, 2018 / 10:28 pm

Good luck to you. Concentrating on yourself isn’t always selfish, as it often has consequences for everyone around you. #kcacols

January 25, 2018 / 10:15 pm

THank you. Pen x

15. January 23, 2018 / 10:56 pm

Love this Pen! Hope that you have a great year, and I think that ‘self’ is a great word for 2018! x #KCACOLS

January 25, 2018 / 10:11 pm