The joy of having a boy

I always imagined that I’d have a girl.   I’d bring her up to be strong-willed and independent.  I’d bring her up to question everything and to stand up for what she believes in.  I bring her up to never accept second best. I’d dress her in dresses, but not pink ones.  She’d love drawing and painting.  Having a boy wasn’t really something that I ever thought would happen.

I didn’t find out whether I was having a boy or a girl before he was born. I was a little bit nervous when he first appeared.  Would we have anything in common?  Would I be enough for him? I feared that he’d be into sports that I know nothing about.  I feared he’d be macho and aggressive and that I wouldn’t be able to relate to him.  I feared that he’d need more than I can give.

Then of course pretty quickly I fell in love with him.  He’s a sensitive and empathetic soul.  He says he likes my clothes and my hair.  He tells me he loves me bigger than his Spider-Man.  He gives me snotty kisses.  He makes me pretend cups of tea and he cooks me pretend egg and grapes (more teaching required in the kitchen!)

having a boy

I feel a tinge of sadness that he is growing up so quickly.  But there are times when all boys want is a big cuddle from mummy and it is lovely.  He crawls into my bed, usually at around 3am.  He has be doing this for so long now that I barely stir, but he is there when I wake in the morning.  He snuggles up.  He puts his head on my chest and tells me to read my book.  He watches me as I read.  He giggles.

His imagination is unbridled.  He loves Andy’s Pre-historic Adventures on CBeebies.  We pretend that he is Andy and I travel with him on his pre-historic adventures.  He puts on his gizmo and his back-pack and we jump into a life size grandfather clock that I have drawn on paper and stuck to the wall.  In the clock, we travel back in time 225 million years and  we collect pumice stone from our pretend volcano before travelling back in the clock to the present.

We sometimes go for breakfast at the French café at the end of the road.  He sits opposite me in his Spider-Man costume and I think my heart might burst. I drink my latte, he drinks his hot milk.  I know that he is thoroughly spoilt and terribly indulged.

He can be grouchy and wild and maddening. He is the only child to refuse to walk like a spider at gymnastics. He claims that his hands are to small to put his toys away. He has wiped him nose on my curtains.  He has sumo wrestled my 9 month old niece.  He shouts at me to ‘WAKE UP’ at 5am on a weekend, but always sleeps through our 6.30am alarm during the week. He steals the raisins out of my muesli. He pokes my eyes.

But I find him delightful. He such an exciting individual. I am totally besotted.  I am the luckiest mummy in the world.

The joy of having a boy is truly immense.

Life Love and Dirty Dishes
Accidental Hipster Mum

July 21, 2017 / 9:37 pm

Thanks Claire. Pen x

July 21, 2017 / 9:36 pm

Thanks Lexie. Pen x

1. July 21, 2017 / 8:34 pm

Aww lovely! I have five boys and one girl. Bringing up biys is amazing, i adore my lot.
    Its suprising how one girl can say ‘why?’ More times in a day than all the boys do over a week!

July 21, 2017 / 9:36 pm

Yay, girl power. Pen x

2. July 21, 2017 / 9:07 pm

It must be a boy thing as my boy sounds a lot like yours, especially with Andys prehistoric adventures. Having a boy is exhausting and worrying but worth every single penny! #ThatFridayLinky

July 21, 2017 / 9:36 pm

Yes, they are exhausting, often physically exhausting. But they are great. Pen x

July 23, 2017 / 8:34 pm

Hmmm, I am not sure when that changes. At what point do parents start having to shout WAKE UP in their parents’ ears? Pen x

July 23, 2017 / 8:33 pm

Ah, thanks Nige. Five children must be an absolute treat, exhausting, but a privilege nonetheless. Pen x

3. July 22, 2017 / 10:19 pm

Love this post, Pen. We have two girls and honestly, felt like you did before you had your little man! I am thrilled for you and your family. Lovely post! #FridayFrolics
    Lisa Pomerantz recently posted…When your Therapy Dog needs TherapyMy Profile

July 23, 2017 / 8:32 pm

Thank you Lisa. Pen x

4. July 22, 2017 / 11:14 pm

Love this. I’m in the opposite boat but my little girl has quickly turned into my best friend #fridayfrolics
    jeremy@thirstydaddy recently posted…The Good Old DaysMy Profile

July 23, 2017 / 8:31 pm

Ah, I’d love a little girl too. Pen x

July 26, 2017 / 9:36 pm

Excellent. pen x

5. July 25, 2017 / 9:10 pm

I wanted a girl, boys terrified me! Then I had Matthew and couldn’t believe how wonderful he was. Next pregnancy I wanted a second boy, had a girl, again can’t stop feeling lucky. Third time around I wanted a girl and we had a boy! Now I’d love 1 more to have a go at evening it up but it probably wouldn’t work based on that history! #RVHT
    Musings of a tired mummy…zzz… recently posted…Mealtimes just got despicable! Minions everywhere!My Profile

July 26, 2017 / 9:35 pm

Haha, brilliant. Maybe just tell yourself that you’d like a baby and see what happens. Pen x

6. July 26, 2017 / 7:41 pm

Oh I love this coz I’m the same. I wanted a girl and found out at 20 weeks that it was a boy and was in shock… but I wouldn’t change a thing. #RVHT

July 26, 2017 / 9:34 pm

Me neither. Pen x

7. July 26, 2017 / 9:13 pm

Aww such a lovely post! We have a 4yr old girl and we are currently pregnant with #2 and we are wondering if it will be another girl or a boy. I’m a bit apprehensive about having a boy as I don’t think I would know what to with a boy! I love your post and it makes me feel a bit less anxious! 🙂

#RVHT
    Becca Farrelly recently posted…Night Time Cuddles with the Snuggle Sac Blanket!My Profile

July 26, 2017 / 9:34 pm

Thank you Becca and good luck with the rest of the pregnancy and birth. Don’t feel anxious about having a boy – they’re great. Pen x

8. July 27, 2017 / 8:56 pm

I definitely find my little boy far more happier, cuddlier and cheekier than my daughter – it is lovely having snuggly boy cuddles #ThatFridayLinky

July 29, 2017 / 7:34 pm

Thank you Amie. Pen x

9. July 28, 2017 / 12:47 am

Aww – this is lovely. I have two girls – but they are also joys! Intrigued by baby niece sumo! Thanks so much for joining us for #FridayFrolics
    Silly Mummy recently posted…Friday Frolics – 28th July 2017My Profile

July 29, 2017 / 7:33 pm

haha, thank you for your comment. Pen x

10. July 30, 2017 / 3:31 am

Oh this is lovely. I’ve got a girl and 2 boys and the boys are so loving. I feel like I’ve learnt so much about things I never knew about-like dinosaurs and we love Andy’s prehistoric adventures too. I think we might play your game 🙂

July 30, 2017 / 8:08 pm

Brilliant! Have fun. Pen x

11. July 30, 2017 / 11:49 am

This is so beautiful! I had a girl first and when I had my boy I was worried I wouldn’t know what to do. Luckily it came quickly and I understood all children need the same things. My daughter played tea parties, my son plays cars. She was quiet and placid, but he charges around shouting. He starts and ends his days with milk and a cuddle, I love that I’ve experienced one of each. I think a mother-son bond is very different to the one of a daughter.

#RVHT
    Jenny (Accidental Hipster Mum) recently posted…#Hairfest at the Cutting Club, CleethorpesMy Profile

July 30, 2017 / 8:01 pm

Ah, that is lovely Jenny . You are very lucky to have both. Thanks for your comment. Pen x