Curious goings on in the garage…

There are some curious goings on in the garages at the back of my flat.

I like to keep an eye on what goes on in my block of flats.  I have told you about the wheelie-suitcase-wielding spinster who lives in the flat beneath me.  I think I also told you about the sexy guy who helped me carry the buggy down the stairs and then, just as I my teenage crush was beginning to blossom, he moved out.

Behind my block of flats there is a large and quite unattractive courtyard surrounded by fifteen garages.  Our flats don’t come with a garage, the garages are owned by a company and rented out individually for about £40 (about $50) a month.  This means that those who rent the garages rarely live in my block of flats.

curious goings on

Last week, Cygnet and I were kicking a ball around the courtyard.  One of the garage doors was partly raised open.  Through the crack escaped a small occasional puff of smoke.  It smelled like cigarette smoke.  I made our football goal at the other end of the courtyard.

After about half an hour, the garage door was raised from the inside.  Cygnet and I both turned to watch as a man, exited the garage, walked to our rubbish bins, lifted the lid of large communal recycling bin and fished out a supplement from The Sunday Times.  He turned, nodded at Cygnet and me as we looked on at him, and returned to his garage and lowered the door.  The smoke puffs recommenced.

I’d guess the man was in his sixties.  He was skinny.  His hair was grey and quite long.  His face was wrinkled.  His trousers were browny grey, his jumper the same.  He wore a shirt underneath his jumper.  He had a kind face.  He made eye contact when he nodded at us, but he didn’t linger.

Inside his garage was a red and white striped deck chair.  It was assembled in the middle of his garage. A packet of cigarettes rested on one of the arms of the deckchair, an ashtray sat on the other arm.  At the foot of the deckchair was a sea of newspaper.   There were a couple of boxes at the back of the garage, but otherwise the garage was empty.

We haven’t seen him since.

We all need a refuge, a place to escape to, every once in a while.   And at £40 a month the garages at the back of mine are as cheap as chips!

*definitely not a collaborative post with the company that rents out the garages at the back of my block of flats.

Sparkles & Stretchmarks Sunday Best
Reflectionsfromme

April 9, 2017 / 8:08 pm

Haha, yes indeed. Pen x

April 15, 2017 / 10:38 pm

If I find out, I’ll let you know. Pen x

1. April 15, 2017 / 10:51 pm

Hmmm, its as good a place as any for a chill out I guess?! Come to think of it we have a garage we never use, I should turn it into a secret mummy hideout! Thanks for joining us at #SundayBest, hope to see you again tomorrow! x

April 17, 2017 / 9:42 pm

Thanks Hayley. pen x

2. April 17, 2017 / 8:55 pm

I love the disclaimer. Hopefully, he just needs a quiet place to read and nothing more. Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next Sunday.

April 17, 2017 / 9:36 pm

Haha, I’ll let you know if I discover anything more. He wasn’t there when we were out playing football this afternoon. Pen x

3. April 18, 2017 / 10:50 am

My kids were out scooting on our driveway the otherday, when suddenly 13 police cars (we counted) filled our road and smooshed into our garage complex. Apparently someone had been burgling houses and storing the “loot” in one of the garages. #kcacols
    Amy recently posted…Magic Fairy Wings, childrens websiteMy Profile

April 19, 2017 / 8:52 pm

Wow! That is exciting. Pen x

4. April 18, 2017 / 12:51 pm

I’d love a little retreat like that, shut myself away from the hubby and kids for an hour lol.
    Ali Duke recently posted…My Weight & I: Update #9My Profile

April 19, 2017 / 8:48 pm

I know. I saw him again today. He seems very content. Pen x

April 23, 2017 / 8:21 pm

You are right. I would choose a park, or a coffee shop or a nice bench near the river. Curious indeed. Pen x

April 25, 2017 / 10:13 pm

Thank you. Pen x

5. April 26, 2017 / 6:12 pm

Lol definitely not a collaborative post. I guess you can’t get much for £40 nowadays. This sounds like excellent value for a bolt hole. He probably has someone he’s getting away from. I wonder what goes on in the other garages #KCACOLS

April 26, 2017 / 7:00 pm

Oh goodness me. Imagine what could be going on in other garages. I would do some investigating, but I am scared that I might find something. Pen x

6. April 29, 2017 / 5:14 pm

Heh, I suppose it’s the equivalent of having a shed at the bottom of the garden or in an allotment – somewhere quiet and personal to hide away from the world for a while. A shame our garage got converted into a playroom for the kids … #KCACOLS

April 30, 2017 / 7:59 pm

Hi tim,

I hear David Cameron has now got a Shepherd’s Shed for the end of his garden. Maybe you should try that as the kids have colonised the garage. Pen x