Mother’s Day tips for single mums

For some of us, Mothers’ Day is better for being single, while for others of us it’s worse, and for others it’s just different.  I am firmly in the first category.

I am lucky, because I now get two presents on Mother’s Day, one from my son, arranged by my ex and one from my son, arranged by my mum.

My ex and I separated just before Mother’s Day a couple of years ago.  He didn’t buy a present that year because he felt it was “inappropriate”.  I will spare you the string of expletives describing what I felt about my ex’s actions on my first ever Mother’s Day.  I am proud to say that I took the moral high ground and set a precedent of buying a Father’s Day present for Cygnet to give my ex.  My ex now buys a present for Cygnet to give me each year.

As for my mother, well she must be the only mother who buys her mother and her daughter a present on Mother’s Day.  That’s why mums are awesome! I buy my mum a present on Mother’s Day (obviously), and my mum (Gama) will also receive a small present from Cygnet.

If I were still with my ex, I know that Mother’s Day would have been all about his mother rather than me.  I would have felt disappointed and a little bit cheated every year and I am sure I’d have done all of the cooking.

Mother's Day tips for single mums

As a single mum, I know that Mother’s Day is what I make of it.   Mother’s Day is about celebrating me –  the mother.  There is no caveat that says that Mother’s Day is only for married mothers.  Whether you are a single mum, a married mum, a mum in the midst of divorce, this is your day.  You are allowed to be celebrated and thanked for all of the hard work that you do for your children, even if you have to arrange the celebrations yourself.

This Mother’s Day, Cygnet and I will have breakfast in bed.  We will have toast.  He can have jam on his, I will have smoked salmon.  He can have milk, I will have a small glass of Prosecco.  I will buy myself a bunch of daffodils and put a daffodil in a glass on the tray.  He can give me the present that his father has arranged.  I will give him a present and tell him how lucky I am to have him.  We will have kisses and cuddles.

(I will change my bedding later.  I doubt my sheets will escape jam and butter if a two year old is dining in my bed).

I will have a bubble bath.  I will obviously have to share my bubble bath with Cygnet and probably half a dozen cars, but it will still be a bubble bath.  I’ll forgo the candles for health and safety reasons.

We will put our best clothes on.

My parents will probably come round for lunch.  I will get another present from Cygnet, this time arranged by my mother.  Cygnet and I will give my mum her presents.  We will eat cake.  We’ll probably have another glass (or two) of Prosecco.  Cygnet might have apple juice (his favourite).

For me, as a single mum, Mother’s Day is what I make of it, and this year I intend to make it a day of indulgence, celebration and fun.

Accidental Hipster Mum

1. March 23, 2017 / 12:41 pm

Hi Pen – I write a post about Mother’s Day as a single mum this week too, with a very similar message! It’s a day I’ve really struggled with in the past, but mostly I’m at peace with it now. And you’re right, it’s what you make it, and it does get better when you child is older (my daughter is nearly 6) because they can do little bits themselves (and then have tantrum that they don’t get to have breakfast in bed too!haha!). Happy Mother’s Day Pen, enjoy your bubble bath!

March 23, 2017 / 3:28 pm

Thank you Emma. I hope you have a wonderful Mother’s Day too. Pen x

March 25, 2017 / 10:02 pm

Hi Sarah,

Yes, we rock, we absolutely rock. Happy Mother’s Day and thank you for your comment. Pen x

2. March 26, 2017 / 7:32 am

Mothers Day is a celebration for a mother regardless of situation, have a fab day, have a third glass of Prosecco and celebrate being a fab mama xx #Blogstravaganza

March 26, 2017 / 9:12 pm

Thanks for your comment Lisa. I did have a lovely day. Thank you. Pen x

3. March 27, 2017 / 6:51 am

I love this. Mother’s Day is definitely what you make it. My husband is usually on shift on Mother’s Day, I make it special for my girls! Thanks so much for sharing with #Blogstravaganza, hope to see you again next week xx

March 27, 2017 / 8:43 pm

Thank you for the lovely comment. It sounds like you had a great Mother’s Day too. Pen x

4. March 27, 2017 / 11:41 am

It sounds like you had a lovely day. It’s definitely what you make it 🙂 #rv&ht

March 27, 2017 / 8:42 pm

I did. thank you. Pen x

5. March 27, 2017 / 1:34 pm

This Mother’s Day and last were my first as part of a family. My new partner celebrates and the appreciates the effort I put in EVERY day unlike my ex who doesn’t ‘do’ Christmas/birthdays/anything else. My children are now seeing how to appeciate the ones we love and how family is about supporting each other not just taking for granted. #RV&HT
    Laura Beresford recently posted…What happened on Mother’s Day? (Monday 27th March)My Profile

March 27, 2017 / 8:42 pm

Hi Laura, this is lovely. I am really glad that your children are getting a really positive role models in their life. that is the most important. Your partner sounds great. Pen x

6. March 27, 2017 / 6:59 pm

Hope you had a lovely day. My two played up so much they’re promising a “mother’s day re-run” next week! I think married or not, it’s usually us women who carry the day and make it special.

March 27, 2017 / 8:22 pm

Brilliant! I hope your second mother’s day is more successful than the real one. Pen x

7. March 29, 2017 / 4:31 am

Hope you had a lovely day, your plans sound lovely x #RV&HT

8. March 31, 2017 / 10:53 am

Sounds like a good plan! It’s definitely what you make of it and if you have no one else to get you a present on behalf of your kids, its a dam good excuse to treat yourself!
    Thanks for linking up to #AnythingGoes 🙂
    Debbie
    Random Musings recently posted…#Giveaway – Win a £50 Amazon VoucherMy Profile

March 31, 2017 / 9:10 pm

Thanks Debbie. Pen x

9. April 1, 2017 / 10:18 pm

When it was just me and my daughter, I was thankful to be doing it alone. I wasn’t happy in the relationship and although I didn’t receive anything from my ex, I really didn’t mind. The freedom was priceless. I’m glad you feel positive about it too!

#RV&HT
    Jenny (Accidental Hipster Mum) recently posted…The Feel Good Diet ClubMy Profile

April 2, 2017 / 9:31 pm