Which songs transport you back in time?

Which songs transport you back in time?

I have been listening to Kirsty Young’s Desert Island Discs. Desert Island Discs is broadcast on BBC Radio 4 on a Sunday morning. I tend to listen to the podcast version on my morning commute to work. The format is simple: a guest is invited by Kirsty Young to choose the eight records they would take with them to a desert island. Kirsty is a brilliant interviewer and asks really probing questions in such a subtle manner. I would recommend the interview with David Beckham. My absolute favourite interview has to be the interview with Davina McCall. Her music choices were sublime and the story of her relationship with her mother had me holding back the tears on the train.

Which songs transport you back in time?

Which songs transport you back in time? Are there songs where the the opening notes give you flashbacks of childhood holidays, a first kiss or heartbreak? Here are a few songs that transport me back in time:

Rain or Shine by Five Star

This was the first ever single I bought. It was vinyl. I remember getting my dad to put it on the record player for me. It came out in 1986 (Jeez, I am so old!). I have just listened to it and I think if this were released again today I would buy it all over again. I absolutely love it.

Maggie May by Rod Stewart

This one is for my parents. If Maggie May was playing and the door was closed I knew that I should not enter. This was my parents ‘special’ song. There are some things that children are just not meant to see. Thank goodness this is an anonymous blog: my parents would be mortified to read this.

The Music Sounds Better with You by Stardust

A group of about twelve of us went to Newquay in Cornwall after our GCSE exams. We stayed in a couple of caravans near the beach, drank a lot, smoked a bit and listened to this on repeat for about a week. It is horrendous. In fact it is almost as bad as the thought of twelve sixteen year olds in a caravan. I now hate the music, but the first couple of notes transport me straight back to my age of innocence when the world really was my oyster.

My Favourite Game by the Cardigans

I still love this song. It takes me back to the early days of my first relationship. I was eighteen and head over heals in love with a guy a decade or so older than me. It was great, while it lasted…but, quelle surprise, it didn’t – see my next song.

Ever Fallen in Love (with someone you shouldn’t have) by The Buzzcocks

He loved The Buzzcocks and he once said to me that he thought about us whenever he heard this song. It wasn’t until we split up that this song had greater resonance for me. We shouldn’t have fallen in love.

Lazy Line Painter Jane by Belle and Sebastian

I spent most of my University years listening to Belle and Sebastian, usually on repeat. I have a terrible habit of finding a song I like and then playing it again and again and again until I am totally sick of it. Lazy Line Painter Jane was my favourite Belle and Sebastian song. I still know every word. It reminds me of my University years.

L.E.S Artistes by Santogold

I listened to L.E.S Artistes by Santogold a lot just after my engagement and as I was planning my wedding. There is one line that really resonated: “…I hope it will be worth what I give up.” I guess in my subconscious I knew that I was about to marry the wrong man. I really did feel as though I was about to give something up: my personality and my life. Thank you Santogold for making me question my plans.

Young Girls & Happy Endings by Gorky’s Zigotic Mynci

It was a different boyfriend who introduced my to Gorky’s Zigotic Mynci’s hit Young Girls & Happy Endings. It is true, young girls do like happy endings. Now that I am a bit older I realise that life isn’t a fairy tale and there are no happy endings. This thing called life has its highs and lows and that it what makes it worth living.

Which songs transport you back in time?

Which songs transport you back in time?

I’m curious to know what songs I’ll add to my list in the future. A summer holiday, songs that remind me of great times with my son, great friendships lost and found. Life is for living.

The Ordinary Moments
Pink Pear Bear

1. February 13, 2017 / 9:09 am

Some great song choices there! i love how something as simple as a song can transport you back in time and remind you on a memory. It’s a really powerful thing. #RV&HT

February 13, 2017 / 9:46 pm

Thank you, and thanks for your comment. You should try it. Pen x

2. February 14, 2017 / 2:59 pm

Oh so, so many. Most from car journeys as a child. My Mum always played the Crowded House album and on the radio I always remember all three of us singing along to Mike and the Mechanics looking back over my shoulder, ace of base, Take That songs, Lighthouse Family… I love the 90’s tunes! #RV&HT

February 14, 2017 / 9:47 pm

Brilliant choices. I love 90s tunes. Take That and East 17 – gotta luv’em Pen x

3. February 14, 2017 / 8:13 pm

Fab choices, Belle and Sebastian reminds me of high school x #RV&HT

February 14, 2017 / 9:46 pm

I love Belle and Sebastian. I had forgotten how much until I wrote this post. Pen x

4. February 16, 2017 / 2:33 pm

Aaah, I love the way songs can transport you right back somewhere, and make you feel exactly how you felt listening to them in that memory! There’s some really great choices here!! My mum always used to tell me growing up that she loved Zoom by Fat Larrys Band, because she listened to it while she was pregnant with me, and it was always going to be her special song that reminded her of me being a baby. I always think of that when I hear it! Better Off Alone always reminds me of clubbing with my friends in my teens! And Out The Blue by John Lennon is a really special one for me, because the lyrics are amazing!
    #bigpinklink
    This Mum’s Life recently posted…What Would Germaine Greer Do?My Profile

February 16, 2017 / 10:23 pm

Hi, Some great songs you have listed here. THanks for your comment. Pen x

5. February 16, 2017 / 4:20 pm

Some great tunes here lovely. Music is fab for bringing back memories and reliving them again. I love this. #ordinarymoments

February 19, 2017 / 10:28 pm

Thanks for your comment Jenny. Pen x

6. February 17, 2017 / 12:43 pm

I love so many of these songs and I’ve always said that music is the soundtrack to life – so many songs transport me right back to the times of years gone by x

February 18, 2017 / 9:22 pm

Thank you Donna. Pen x

7. February 17, 2017 / 10:20 pm

Fab songs here and some bring back memories for me. MJ, Madonna, JLO and more bring back memories from childhood, tweenhood and uni x

February 18, 2017 / 9:21 pm

Ah, yes, Madonna. How could I forget Madonna. Her whole Immaculate collection is etched on my brain. Pen x

February 18, 2017 / 9:21 pm

thanks for our comment. I hope you enjoy the podcast. Pen x

February 19, 2017 / 10:24 pm

Thanks for your comment Lydia. Pen x

8. February 18, 2017 / 10:47 pm

Any A1 song brings back memories from school for me I blooming loved them haha! most people have never even heard of them tho! Thank you for linking up with #KCACOLS we hope to see you again next time xx
    Mrs Morgan Plus 3 recently posted…My top toys for 1 year oldsMy Profile

February 19, 2017 / 10:21 pm

Excellent. thanks for your comment. Pen x

9. February 19, 2017 / 2:24 am

My dad used to make us listen to Hendrix, Steely Dan and Heart every single road trip so now I think of vacation when I hear them- and they are among my fav bands even now.

February 19, 2017 / 10:21 pm

Your father taught you well. Pen x

10. February 19, 2017 / 9:05 am

I love how music can bring back so many memories. I remember the cardigans and my first proper boyfriend too hehe 🙂 I was about 17 or so and doing a-levels. the song that reminds me a lot of my GCSEs and hanging out with all my friends is Pulp’s disco 2000 and The Smashing Pumpkins – Tonight Tonight 🙂 #KCACOLS

February 19, 2017 / 10:19 pm

Brilliant. I think you are a couple of years younger than me then because that Cardigans song was at the time of my A levels. Amazing how music can tell us how old we are. Pen x

11. February 19, 2017 / 11:22 am

I love the Buzzcocks and Cardigans choices. I only know a handful of Belle and Sebastian ones but not that one. Modest Mouse take me back to my early twenties and The Libertines take me to my late teens. Love this post.

Thanks for linking up. #RV&HT

February 19, 2017 / 10:17 pm

Hi, thanks for your comment. I have never even heard of Modest Mouse. I am having a listen now – I think you are much cooler than me. Pen x

12. February 19, 2017 / 5:21 pm

Music is great for bringing back memories. Madonna always reminds me of my childhoos as her songs always seemed to be on the radio.

February 19, 2017 / 10:15 pm

Yes, Madonna is part of my childhood too. I think I could recite all of the lyrics to her entire Immaculate collection. Pen x

13. February 19, 2017 / 5:27 pm

I love this show! My go to song is always ‘people should smile more’ by Newton Faulkner. I used to listen to it on the way to the station as I was starting my first teaching placement. It always takes me back right there!
    Laura recently posted…Activities: The Royal Yacht BritanniaMy Profile

February 19, 2017 / 10:13 pm

Hi Laura,

I had never heard Newton Faulkner’s ‘People should smile more’. I have just listened to it. I like it. Thanks for the introduction. Pen x

14. February 20, 2017 / 7:17 pm

I was once a huge Nirvana fan. Those songs remind me of my high school days. #SundayBest

February 20, 2017 / 9:27 pm

Ah yes, I liked a bit of Nirvana. In fact I still do! Pen x

15. February 21, 2017 / 6:50 am

Great songs! Funny how songs can do that. Or how a sound or tune can recall a song you haven’t heard in ages. I have several songs that bring back the vividness of childhood. Sunny Came Home (Highschool – senior year), Sitting on the Dock of the Bay (tap dancing in my parents front hall), Goo Goo Dolls Slide (first song my hubby ever played for me on guitar and sang to me)…..

16. February 21, 2017 / 9:37 pm

The first song that came to mind was ‘Boom Shake the Room’ DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince! It was released when I was living in Halls in my first year at Uni. We all learnt the words and it became our ‘Halls song’. When we left I made a mix tape for all my uni friends of all the songs that reminded us of our 3 years and this was number 1 on the tape! #KCACOLS
    Nicola recently posted…Motivation Monday #12 – Be nice!My Profile

February 21, 2017 / 9:54 pm

Brilliant! Boom Shake the Room reminds me of my brother. It was possibly the first single he ever bought. Thanks for your comment. Pen x

February 23, 2017 / 9:24 pm

Great choices. Take That were part of my formative years too. Pen x

17. February 25, 2017 / 8:54 am

Love this Pen! Music is so powerful isn’t it. There are some Dido songs that take me right back to my room in my student house in my first year at uni. So many feelings come flooding back, it’s amazing. x #KCACOLS

18. February 25, 2017 / 1:08 pm

Ah I love this post. Seen a make blogger recently post about desert island discs too. Very tempted to have a listen and make my own list. Sorry to hear your life hasn’t been a fairytale. I still believe it can be. Every fairytale has some sadness and sinister doings to start with. Hope you get your happy ever after.

February 25, 2017 / 10:42 pm

Thank you Cassie. Pen x

February 26, 2017 / 8:59 pm

Hi Sian,

thanks for your comment. Pen x

19. February 27, 2017 / 9:05 pm

I love Santogold! Great song choices. I have a playlist on Spotify I call ‘songs that remind me of how I felt when I was 19’. #kcacols

February 27, 2017 / 9:06 pm

Brilliant title for a playlist. Pen x

20. March 1, 2017 / 11:49 pm

Isn’t it strange the songs that remind us of things. Whenever I hear 7 Years by Lukas Graham it reminds me of when my little boy was born. It was number one at the time and was all I ever heard on the radio #KCACOLS
    Becky Clark recently posted…Guest Post – The Pregnancy Diaries week36My Profile