January was a long hard slog, good riddance

I have been counting down the days until the end of January since about the 10th of January.  January has been a long hard slog.  In fact, January is a long hard slog every single year.

December was all about new clothes and present wrapping and Christmas trees and Christmas parties and mince pies and mulled wine.  In December, the cold was christmassy, the ice was festive and the dark nights were cosy.

In January, the same cold was biting, the dark nights were gloomy and oppressive and those Christmas trees are now strewn across the pavement waiting for some community-spirited individual to call the council to report a missed Christmas tree pick-up.  We’ll be waiting a long time.

January

January is the month when we all get ill.  The excesses of December take their toll.  I feel like a cheese-grater has scraped my throat, phlegm makes my voice crackle and mucus makes me sound hoarse.  Cygnet’s snot is making him snore like a congested baby rhino.

January

And then there is my bank balance.  I was last paid on 23 December 2016.  January is a 31 day month.  That is far too many weekends, far too many train fares, far too many Tesco shops and, most cripplingly, far too many credit card bills painting, in undeniable black and white ink, the excesses of December and my Christmas present-buying generosity.

I have broken my New Year’s resolutions already.  I have yet to do one thing that is outside of my comfort zone and I was supposed to smash my comfort zone weekly.  As I sit here stressing about my finances and wallowing in the waterfall of mucus, I am aware that ‘Zen’, meditation and mindfulness have gone out of the window.  I have one hundred pages of my book to read before midnight tonight if I am to salvage my one book a month resolution.  Dry January turned out to be very damp and even resulted in my projectile vomiting across my bathroom floor. Oh, the shame of it, the absolute shame of it.

Forget New Year and new beginnings.  January has been a horror show, an interminable horror show that my calendar is finally indicating is about to come to an end.

So dear January, my welcome was tentative, but my farewells are not.  It is most definitely time to say goodbye to you.  Goodbye and good riddance.  Please don’t rush back for next year.

Reflections From Me
Share the Joy linky at LizzieSomerset.com
My Petit Canard

1. February 1, 2017 / 11:33 pm

You could pretend you’re Chinese and start again. Their New Year was Jan 28.

2. thesingleswan
    February 2, 2017 / 9:10 pm

Ha, good plan. Thanks Pen x

February 7, 2017 / 11:07 pm

February is better. May, June and July are best though. Pen x

3. February 6, 2017 / 11:03 pm

Just because you’ve failed the new years resolution doesn’t mean you need to give up on it totally. there’s still 11 months left this year to redeem yourself.

good luck

February 7, 2017 / 11:04 pm

Haha, excellent. 11 months left to redeem myself. I will remember that. Pen x

4. February 7, 2017 / 7:07 am

I must admit Jan is not my favourite month. Thankfully there are some things that pull me through, like keeping my fairy lights up, lighting candles, practicing self-care and doing something for someone else. Living in the UK there’s not much we can do about the cold, damp, weather. I watch sunshine-y programmes to get my dose of sunshine in a dark day xoxo

February 7, 2017 / 11:04 pm

You are right, sometimes it is the little things that pull us through. Pen x

5. February 10, 2017 / 5:24 pm

Oh I agree January is a miserable month!! We always book a little trip to Centre Parcs so we have a little pick me up during the worst month of the year. #mg

February 11, 2017 / 8:42 pm

Hi Natalie,

that’s a good idea. I have just booked a Centre Parcs trip. I am going in March this year though. I think I went in January last year and yes, it did make it a lot better. Loads of love. Pen x

February 11, 2017 / 8:41 pm

HI Helena,

Yes, that’s a bit rubbish – sorry. On a positive note, you have a highlight to what would otherwise be a long month and that is lucky. Pen x

February 12, 2017 / 9:35 pm

thanks. Pen x

February 12, 2017 / 9:31 pm

I can’t wait until the beginning of April. Then I will feel that spring is actually here. Pen x