Anti-abortion campaigner: how dare you?

My Facebook feed and the news are flooded with images from anti-abortion campaigners.  I am not going to show them here, or add links to this blog, because there is no way that I am going to do anything to support their campaign.

These images are upsetting.  They are chosen to be upsetting.  They are chosen to upset you so much that they will put off having an abortion.

Now that I am a mother, I know that there would be very few circumstances in which I could bring myself to have an abortion.  A life threatening medical condition affecting both me and the foetus might be one such example.  But I know that I would not, in my own mind, be able to dissociate the pregnancy from the wondrous little thing that Cygnet has become.

Now that I am a mother, these images affect me more.  Those photographs of tiny limbs, torn apart and smeared over a blue hospital tissue.  Those diagrams of how the foetus is torn apart inside the womb to remove it from the woman in pieces.   They are horrific.

Now that I am a mother, I more and more angered by the immorality of the anti-abortion campaign.

What these images don’t and can’t show is the upset, pain, anguish and suffering that a woman may be going through when she has an abortion. Getting an abortion is not something any woman would choose to go through. An unplanned pregnancy is highly stressful, and for many it is humiliating evidence of a failure in judgment.  And what about all of the other scenarios in which a woman may have an abortion?  Rape.  A serious medical condition affecting the foetus.  A serious medical condition affecting the mother.  A serious medical condition affecting both!

If I am ever fortunate enough to be pregnant again, I know that abortion would be torture for me.  A torture which may be in the best interests of both me, the foetus and Cygnet.  Depending on the circumstances, abortion could be the only sensible option.

By publicising these images, by harassing women outside of abortion clinics, by spamming my Facebook feed, anti-abortion campaigners are wielding the weapons of torture.

Anti-abortionists: how dare you?

How dare you?

How dare you?

How dare you?

You have no right.

My Kid Doesn't Poop Rainbows
Reflections From Me
And then the fun began...

1. March 15, 2016 / 7:49 pm

They’re so hung up on the ‘how’ that they fail to try and understand the ‘why’. I agree it is something you would never consider unless circumstances were pretty extreme. I feel so so sorry for children who are brought into the world and neglected, abused, sent headlong into a cycle of more of the same. I’m not sure what the answer is but surely it isn’t taking away a woman’s right to choose for herself and sending messages of hate and intolerance into the world. #thetruthabout
    Sam recently posted…The truth about… #66My Profile

March 16, 2016 / 8:20 pm

I agree Sam. thank you for the comment again. Pen xx

2. March 15, 2016 / 9:10 pm

I agree,I would find it heartbreaking to have to do it myself for whatever reason but who are they to tell another woman how to think or feel.We all do what we think is best,I have friends who’ve had terminations for different reasons and I’ve seen the torment they’ve gone through afterwards too.Not as cut and dried as these campaigners seem to think x #kcacols
    Pickinguptoys recently posted…A (not so) relaxing day in the gardenMy Profile

March 16, 2016 / 8:16 pm

I agree. I have a couple of close friends who have had to have terminations because the foetus wasn’t viable. I also had a close friend in Northern Ireland who was told that the foetus wasn’t viable but that they couldn’t terminate (because it was NI). She was told to go home and that she would ‘probably’ miscarry naturally within the next week or so. It was nearly a month before she miscarried. It was absolute hell for her. x

3. March 16, 2016 / 10:01 pm

A few months ago, I tried to take some anti-abortion protesters to task. They were spouting their ludicrous judgements in the city centre. Unsurprisingly, they were unable to see reason, as one of them was so ill-informed he didn’t even understand the words “first trimester,” let alone what that meant. I gave up at that point. #fartglitter
    Min recently posted…What are my Goals?My Profile

March 20, 2016 / 8:38 pm

Good for you for trying though Min. Well done. Pen x

4. March 17, 2016 / 12:50 am

Ugh, just reading this made me go quite green. I have zero stomach for anything which involves harm coming to babies or children now. If it were me I’d be deleting a few people from facebook to clear up my feed.

#fartglitter
    Mama, My Kid Doesn’t Poop Rainbows recently posted…The #FartGlitter Linky: Week TwentyMy Profile

March 20, 2016 / 8:37 pm

Yep, a few friends unfriended, rest assured. thanks for your comment. Pen x

5. March 17, 2016 / 8:49 pm

Here’s my thing, if you really, truly believe that the right to a safe and supported termination is wrong, I’m okay with that. As a comparison I understand that there a people that genuinely think that as a black woman I shouldn’t live in the UK and that’s their choice but don’t attack, threaten or harm the individual for this. Lobby the government or something but first put your heads together and try and come up with one unbiased, informed, empathetic reason for your argument. I’ll be waiting… #fartglitter

March 20, 2016 / 8:35 pm

Hi Charlene,

I quite agree. I am totally up for an objective debate on abortion where each side deals in fact, rather than the sensationalist and emotive argument that anti-abortion campaigners seem to be spamming my facebook news feed with. thanks for your comment. Pen xx

6. March 17, 2016 / 10:34 pm

I completely agree – these images are upsetting. We have no right to judge others when we do not know the story behind their decisions.

Thank you for linking up to #KCACOLS and I hope to see you back again on Sunday xx

March 20, 2016 / 8:33 pm

Here here. Thanks for your comment Maria. Pen xx

7. March 19, 2016 / 12:10 am

I agree with you. This is a very controversial subject. One that I have studied at law school and have done several debates for both sides. I’m of the opinion that we as women should have the option to decide what is best for us. An abortion after a rape is something that I have always have supported. You never know what is the story behind that women that decided to go ahead with this. We can’t judge. We just have to try to have a better understanding and if possible an open mind. And I also agree that those photos are horrendous! Thanks so much for sharing this at #KCACOLS, 🙂 x
    A Moment with Franca recently posted…Zookeeper Zoe – Boots’s New Free & Fun Eye Check StorybookMy Profile

March 20, 2016 / 8:24 pm

Hi Franca,

thanks for your comment. I would be interested to hear the rational debates that you studied at law school in favour of abortion. The anti-abortion campaign is so emotive and fraught, when what I really think we need to inform our decision making is an objective presentation of the facts. The sensationalist and disturbing images of a butchered foetus are anything but and are therefore irresponsible in my view. thanks for your comment as always. Pen x

8. March 19, 2016 / 10:46 am

a powerful post, I am fortunate enough to not have seen images like you describe. After loosing three unborn babies I know I couldn’t face having an abortion, but like you say if there was threat to my life, my unborn baby then maybe I would be forced to. It would be painful enough without people making me feel worse with upsetting images and nasty words. #mg
    Mackenzie Glanville recently posted…Get curiousMy Profile

March 20, 2016 / 8:21 pm

Hi Mac,

Losing three unborn babies must have been incredibly tough. Well done you for getting through it. Thank you for your comment. All the best. Pen x

9. April 8, 2016 / 6:41 am

They have no right. You’re bang on. It’s provocative and unfair. Abortion is a woman’s choice, no one has the right to decide what one has to do, other than the woman herself. End of.

April 9, 2016 / 7:55 pm