On being staunchly secular

I appreciate your concern that because my son hasn’t been christened he won’t go to heaven if he dies.  That’s kind of you, but I don’t believe in heaven, so I am not that bothered.

angel-985503_1920

I appreciate your concern that my son won’t belong to a community because he doesn’t go to Church.  Except he will be part of a community because he goes to nursery and Rhyme Time and soft play and he will go to school and activity clubs.  I think he will be okay.

I appreciate your concern that my son will not have a moral compass to guide him through life because he is not Christian.  I think he will have a moral compass though; it will be his own moral compass, inside him, that he will be responsible for recalibrating and challenging.  My son’s moral compass won’t be a broken compass forced upon him by religion.

I appreciate your concern for my son who was conceived and born out of wedlock and will be raised by separated parents.  I think he will be okay though because he now has the chance to be raised by happy parents.

I appreciate your concern that my son will be selfish because morals come from religion…and my son doesn’t have one.  But you’re wrong.  You are wrong.  Current Biology says you are wrong.  Research published in Current Biology suggests that children from religious households are less generous and more selfish than children from a secular background.

Horrah for new research published in Current Biology!

Please stop thrusting your religion on to me and on to my son.

Ethan & Evelyn

Post Comment Love
Life with Baby Kicks

November 15, 2015 / 10:01 pm

Thank you. Now if my son decides to get himself christened when he’s older that is fine. It is his choice. I don’t want to force that choice upon him, or to let it be forced upon him.

Thanks for your comment. x

1. November 15, 2015 / 3:32 am

Head,hear. My sister’s MIL once asked me when my daughter is getting christened. When I said probably never she replied by saying, “but if you don’t she’ll not be able to get married in of C of E church, or enroll in a C of E school.” Too many levels of ignorance here but suffice to say as Scots dwelling in Scotland, we found this rather amusing!! Thanks for sharing on #copolo xx
    Susie F recently posted…*Drumroll* And the winner is…My Profile

November 15, 2015 / 10:00 pm

Thanks for your comment. Yes, that sounds very similar to conversations that I have had. Oh dear.

2. November 16, 2015 / 9:03 am

It’s that whole thing of, you become a parent (actually, it starts when you are pregnant), and everyone has advice or opinions on what you should do, when, how, with what…. No, every family is different and different things work for everybody. We’d be rather boring if we all lived our lives exactly the same! #fabfridaypost
    New Mummy Blog recently posted…#TheBabyFormula linky – Week 2My Profile

November 16, 2015 / 10:24 pm

This is so very true. When you becoming a parent everyone has unsolicited and contradictory advice to hand out. Thanks for your comment. x

November 23, 2015 / 9:56 pm

I am jealous. I would have loved to have had a naming ceremony for Cygnet.

I went to a naming ceremony recently. It was really nice. My friend’s daughter had three ‘guide’ parents who each made a promise about what they would add to the baby’s life. It made me cry. It was lovely.

3. November 19, 2015 / 12:31 pm

Well said! I have inherited my parents’ religious of Buddhism but I am so far from it. I was raise in a catholic boarding school. I was in the choir and I go to church with the school every freaking sunday! I love signing but it doesn’t mean I am into the catholic religious beliefs. I believe people can make their own choices whatever their religious are. To know what’s right to wrong is the basic of all. I don’t impose Buddhism on my children but we go to the temple from time to time for thai food mainly! And I don’t impose catholic on my children either – even though he enjoys singing in the choir too. Great post! You did good. Don’t take crap from anybody. Your son is great. Sound like he could get on well with mind. 🙂 Thank you for linking up with me. Lovely to have you #FabFridayPost xx
    Su {Ethan & Evelyn} recently posted…Book Interview Review #18: Sardines of Love by Zurine AguirreMy Profile

November 23, 2015 / 9:54 pm

Thanks Su. that’s really nice to hear.

4. November 20, 2015 / 3:15 am

Well said – I am all for religion and I believe if you believe you should pass it onto your children, to GUIDE them. Not ram it down their throats. And especially not down someone else throats.
    Laura @ Life with Baby Kicks recently posted…#effitfriday – 20th November 2015My Profile

5. November 28, 2015 / 3:57 pm

‘But being religious will enhance the relationship you have with your son and as a result you’ll feel more love for him!’ I was told this outside the Science Museum recently by two young childless men who were giving out leaflets from the Mormon church opposite the road. I told them quite calmly that no religion would enhance the relationship with my son or the love that I feel for him thank you very much!!! Grrrr, some people! 😉
    Our Seaside Baby recently posted…Photo Friday: SheepMy Profile

November 28, 2015 / 9:12 pm

Oh my goodness! Well done for staying calm. I think I would have just walked off. Thanks for your comment. x