The truth about being a spying spinster

Ok, there is a danger that monitoring the movements of my neighbours will turn into a bit of an obsession. I am turning into a spying spinster.  I wrote last week about the curious movements of my downstairs neighbour. Her odd schedule involving a wheelie suitcase seems to have stopped by the way, much to my chagrin as I was thinking I might be able to set my various clocks by her movements.

There are two further flats on my floor.  In one of these flats live a couple and another guy.  Three of them in the flat.  The girl is probably THE most beautiful girl you have ever seen.  My mother gushes ‘she is so stunning’ every time we bump into her. I bumped into the guy, the one who I don’t think is part of the couple, this morning when I was leaving the flat to take Baba to nursery and to go to work. I had Baba in one arm and the buggy in the other. I was about to carry both down the stairs when he asked if I’d like any help. Well of course I would. I willing accepted.

Now, this guy is cute, a bit skinny but really cute. He was also very polite and asked me how I was settling into the block and whether I liked the area. Well of course I am settling into the block – I occasionally bump into him, and just looking at him occasionally would help anyone to settle into a new home.

spinster

I have made the assessment that this guy is single.  I don’t have any knowledge upon which to base this assessment.  I just think he’s single: Why would a guy who was in relationship be living with a couple?   I accept that he could be in a relationship and just not living with his partner. He could also be the second boyfriend of the very very lucky girl who is living on the flat. She is ‘stunning’ so this may not be that surprising.

Even if he is single he’s too young for me. I reckon he’s in his mid-to-late 20s and let’s face it, no 20-something year old in his right mind would go for a single mother in her mid-30s.  Obstacles aside though, from now on I will time my exits from the flat to coincide with his (from my hall window I can see into their kitchen which is near their front door).

You never know, this could be the start of a beautiful relationship… and if not I am sure he will politely and obligingly carry the buggy down the stairs for me. More likely, this infatuation will just prompt a little more spying, this time from a different window.

I think I am turning into the neighbourhood watch…or a slightly obsessed spying spinster who has nothing better to do of an evening.

x

My Pinterventures
And then the fun began...
R is for Hoppit

August 10, 2015 / 9:59 pm

I’m working on it. Slow and steady wins the race. What man (boy?) doesn’t want an older woman to show him what life’s all about (wine on the balcony, screaming baby to break up the night) right? x

1. August 11, 2015 / 6:13 am

Always nice when people are willing to help carry things down the stairs for you and he sounds like a nice guy. And who knows what could happen if you keep bumping into him? 🙂 #thetruthabout
    Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) recently posted…Swimming with my heart childMy Profile

August 11, 2015 / 8:08 pm

Hi, Yes, I am going to try to keep bumping into him. You never know. x

2. August 11, 2015 / 8:36 am

haha I LOVE this post! Who doesn’t like spying on their neighbours. Unfortunately mine are old crusties who are objecting to our planning permission request. Shame we as all like a bit of eye candy!
    #AnythingGoes
    MrsM @oldpoyntz recently posted…A Kind Word Can Go A Long WayMy Profile

August 11, 2015 / 8:07 pm

Hi Mrs M, It doesn’t sound like you have great spying potential with your neighbours. It sounds like you know them more than you want to already. I hope your planning permission request goes through. x

3. August 11, 2015 / 11:56 am

Just don’t let him see you spying! Other wise you’ll be the mad woman from the flat upstairs and that’s not going to help your prospects any! Good luck!

August 11, 2015 / 8:06 pm

Some wise words Mrs Tubbs. I will be rumbled soon enough.

4. August 11, 2015 / 12:20 pm

You go girl. Go show him what ya got!

August 11, 2015 / 8:05 pm

Steady on. He’s barely shaving – well he isn’t shaving actually he has a beard but he is only in his mid 20s. Bless. x

5. August 11, 2015 / 1:12 pm

Haha I love this! I do exactly the same! We live in a newly build estate with quite a few young neighbours. My husband and I love speculation on whether the new guy who showed up is a new boyfriend and what happened to the other guy etc! We’ve even been known to both hide behind the curtain trying to peer out lol x #TwinklyTuesday
    Emma’s Mamma recently posted…Baker Days Cake review & giveaway My Profile

August 11, 2015 / 8:05 pm

I know. It is great fun. I really love speculating and making up stories about what my neighbours might be doing based on the scant clues that I can gather from my spying antics. thanks for you comment and thanks for reassuring me that I am not the only person hiding behind the curtains speculating about the neighbours. x

6. August 11, 2015 / 1:49 pm

Keep spying! 😉 sounds like so much fun. I’d be doing the same thing, timing the outings with his, ha! so sneaky. #twinklytuesday

August 11, 2015 / 8:03 pm

It is a lot of fun. This blog is fast turning into a documentary about my neighbours. It is getting to be a bit obsessive. Thanks for your comment. x

August 11, 2015 / 8:02 pm

Good! I try. x

7. August 11, 2015 / 5:48 pm

Good luck hun… there’s nothing wrong with taking an interest in this guy and if he’s happy to help with the buggy he sounds lovely x
    Izzie Anderton recently posted…Things I want my cat to know…My Profile

August 11, 2015 / 8:02 pm

He was very nice and polite and that, to be honest, is good enough for me. Thanks for your comment x

August 11, 2015 / 8:01 pm

I know, it’s a dream right. he’s certainly dreamy.

8. Tracey Abrahams (The Anxious Dragon)
    August 11, 2015 / 7:44 pm

I love people watching, and could very easily become the local busybody were it not for the fact that I live on the edge of a village which sits in a forest. The only thing I see out my windows are sheep 🐑

August 11, 2015 / 8:01 pm

Aaaah, well I am sure you can invent some interesting stories about sheep. I too love people watching. I could become a professional people watcher – in fact this blog is fast turning into a documentary of strange stories about my various neighbours. Thanks for your comment.

9. August 11, 2015 / 8:02 pm

You have interesting neighbours! And at least one of them is helpful and friendly which is great and who knows where it might go (other than downstairs 🙂 ) Thanks for linking up to #thetruthabout Xx
    Sam recently posted…The Truth about… #38My Profile

August 12, 2015 / 8:51 pm

Yep, I am a professional curtain twitcher (without the curtains). It is what I always wanted to be in life. x

10. August 12, 2015 / 7:00 pm

Nothing wrong with a bit of people watching – a very worthy pursuit in my opinion!

August 12, 2015 / 8:51 pm

Definitely!

August 16, 2015 / 7:26 pm

Yes, unfortunately he has just moved out. Fantasy over.

11. August 14, 2015 / 10:03 am

You are hilarious. I shall live vicariously through this blog from now on.
    #AnythingGoes

August 16, 2015 / 7:25 pm

Oh my, some of my posts are not funning you know. I am usually quite depressing. I’ll try to sprinkle some humour in once in a while just for you. xx

12. August 23, 2015 / 6:09 am

Ok. I’m in. The first post I read, about the lady, pulled me in to this one, now I’m hooked.

I just found out from the comments that he moved out??? NO!!! (That’s so just like British television, killing off favorite characters just after they’ve introduced them!)

August 23, 2015 / 8:23 am

I know, I am gutted. He has moved out and my curtain twitching is objectiveless and fruitless. I am crossing my fingers for some nice new neighbours.

13. September 11, 2015 / 4:20 pm

Ha! This is totally what I would do too…
    Lizzie Woodman recently posted…My WeekMy Profile

September 11, 2015 / 8:42 pm

Phew! Not just me then.

14. December 3, 2015 / 2:39 pm

Great blog post. What I like about your writing is that you tell a story, you’re self-deprecating and you’re gently funny. Can’t think of anything more to say: it’s just really good.
    Mark Richards recently posted…Waiting for Godot. And My Son…My Profile

December 4, 2015 / 9:57 pm

thanks! I appreciate your comments.

15. September 1, 2016 / 7:25 pm

I read this and felt as if somebody was inside my mind for a bit – my thought patterns are exactly the same! Long live curious spinster neighborhood watch!
    #FridayFrolics

September 1, 2016 / 7:56 pm

Hi Ana,

I am very glad it is not just me! thanks for your comment. Pen x

September 2, 2016 / 9:28 pm

My pleasure Claire. Thanks for having me. Pen x

16. September 2, 2016 / 6:40 am

Haha, glad I am not the only one. I am afraid I am a bit of a secret curtain twitcher and am always coming up with crazy ideas for what my neighbours are up to. I noticed that one neighbour used to put her outside light on (during the day and night) and then she would have gentlemen callers. My conlusion was a rather shocking one. It turns out she was moonlighting as a mobile hairdresser, much more innocent then what I had come up with. Whoops. #Fridayfrolics
    Emma recently posted…Killed by men, silenced by patriarchyMy Profile

September 2, 2016 / 9:26 pm

A mobile hairdresser? How very disappointing. It is much more fun to make up stories. Pen x

17. September 8, 2016 / 12:12 am

Maybe a bit spy/stalkery, yes, but sounds completely worth it! This all sounds to me like a completely justifiable reason for people watching/spying on neighbours. You did, however, miss out the very important detail of what the other guy in that flat looks like!

Thanks so much for joining us on #Fridayfrolics. Hope to see you next time
    Silly Mummy recently posted…Friday Frolics – 2nd September 2016My Profile

September 8, 2016 / 8:33 pm

thanks for your comment. I will remember not to miss out important details like that in future. 😉 Pen x