Parents are superheroes, especially through separation

My parents are superheroes.  I am separating from partner.  Our son is under one.  The last few months have been really challenging emotionally, logistically, financially, in fact in most ways imaginable.

parents are superheroes

My parents are superheroes because:

• They have enabled me to see a way out of this relationship.
  • They have helped me see that the future is not all bad, in fact they have helped me to be excited about the future.
  • They have helped me to identify what is important.
  • They have helped me to see that if I am unhappy then my son is going to be unhappy.
  • They are helping me get over the guilt of not being able to provide my son with a childhood with two parents who love each other.
  • They look after my son so that I can work full time.
  • They look after my son when he is ill and can’t go to nursery.
  • They have helped me to find a flat to move to.
  • They are my emotional rock.
  • They are riding the roller-coaster of emotions with me.
  • They distract me when my son is with his father and I am missing him (my son!) terribly.
  • They email me a photo of my son everyday that they are looking after him and I am at work.
  • They make my son happy.  He loves spending time with them.  He thinks they are hysterically funny for some reason.
  • They make themselves absent so that I can have have special time just me and my son.
  • They give and give and give and expect nothing in return.
  • They reassure me that I can do this because I am amazing.
  • They tell me that I am a great Mum.
  • They will be there for me as long as we all shall live.

My parents are superheroes and my role models.

You Baby Me Mummy

1. April 25, 2015 / 6:33 am

Oh I’m so sorry to hear that you’re going through this difficult time – but how wonderful to be able to post about your wonderful parents and how supportive they are for you. Every day may not be positive but well done you for finding the positive today! Thank you for linking this up at #sharethejoy

April 25, 2015 / 8:13 am

Thank you for your comment. I am really lucky!

2. April 25, 2015 / 7:22 pm

What a beautiful post. Sorry it’s under these circumstances, if indeed ‘sorry’ is the right work because it really does sound like you’ve got great support in your superhero parents. #sharethejoy

April 25, 2015 / 7:59 pm

Thank you for reading and thank you very much for your comment. #sharethejoy

3. April 30, 2015 / 4:03 pm

This must all be so difficult and I hope there are happier times ahead. Your parents sound amazing. Thanks so much for linking up to #TheList x

May 28, 2015 / 8:59 pm

They are! Thank you very much for your comment. xx

4. April 30, 2015 / 10:15 pm

Ah. I think those of us with supportive parents are the lucky ones. I’ve left a relationship before (marriage) and my parents have been so supportive (I didn’t have kids then). I ended up living with them for three years in my early 30s. Now they are older and I have two children if I need their help again it would be different but I think they would do most of the things you describe. X

May 1, 2015 / 10:52 pm

goodness, thanks for reading and commenting on this post too. I feel very lucky! None of my friends have been through what I am going through and none of them have even divorced. The online community is a great support network and it is comforting to hear of other people’s divorce stories – thank you for sharing yours. Parents are great. I just hope that I can be as good to my son as my parents have been to me. xx

5. June 5, 2015 / 7:35 pm

Love love love this post!!! I feel like you were inside my mind writing it 🙂 I feel exactly the same about my parents. They are so so supportive and love S like their own. Coming from an Indian community, separation and divorce is still a taboo subject but my parents never cared and for that I’ll always be grateful! Hats off to your parents as well xx
    Natasha recently posted…Do you want to go to Legoland?My Profile

June 7, 2015 / 9:16 pm

Hi Natasha,

I really don’t know what I would do without my parents. Your parents sound amazing too. I only hope that we can be as good parents to our children as our parents are to us. Thank you!

6. June 24, 2015 / 1:41 pm

Oh what a lovely post, I hope your parents get to see it. I often feel my son has missed out as my parents have passed away, good luck for the future x
    Lorraine recently posted…Talk about it Tuesday 23/6/15My Profile

June 24, 2015 / 10:09 pm

Thanks Lorraine,

Yes you are right, I do need to let my parents see this. I somehow need to share this with them without letting them know about my blog. Thanks for your comment. x

7. August 18, 2015 / 11:37 am

I totally agree. My mum has been such. huge support to me over the past year, even though we don’t always see eye to eye on parenting matters. Parents rock!
    Min recently posted…How I Am Now Piglet’s DaddaMy Profile

August 18, 2015 / 9:18 pm

Yep, parents do rock, but I think it takes time for us to realise it. I read somewhere that it takes until we are 28 years old, on average, for us to appreciate our parents. About right I reckon.